Sunday, January 28, 2007

Les Stroud in the Amazon


As I sit here at my cube on a Sunday afternoon, I wonder what life would be like if I had made different choices in life. Like, if I had learned that my some-time hero as a child (Richard Dean Anderson) bicycled across Canada as a teenager. Would I have done something similar to discover myself? Would I have taken an interest in the outdoors more and looked for a job in that arena?

Well, we can dwell in the past, but we must excel into the future.

On that note, the fans of Les Stroud can finally read about his latest adventure into the jungles of the Amazon where snakes are just as dangerous as the local tribes.

You can read more here about his trip, but I'll give you the highlights.

He's taking the following supplies:
  • 3 feet of fishing line
  • one can of soda
  • one match
  • fire "dust" [not exactly sure what this is]
  • mosquito hat
  • multi-tool
  • dugout canoe
  • blowgun*
  • machete*
  • spear*
*The last three items are included so he can "live like the tribesmen."

He's in Ecuador.
There are vampire bats that pee on him.
He leaves his camp on the night of the sixth day (early by his standards) because of a jaguar.

Thanks Les for doing what the rest of us are too afraid to do. And thanks for being intelligent about it too.

Not like that idiotic Man vs. Wild guy. Now there's proof that natural selection isn't working.

No comments: