Saturday, November 21, 2015

2015 Gobble Wobble 5k - Race Report

On a bit of a spur of the moment decision, I ran the 2015 Gobble Wobble 5k in Westmoreland State Park. So I set my alarm for a regular school day and headed out. With my coach's approval (for a change).

The race had about 90 to 100 runners. The course started and finished at the main Visitor Center. Most of the course was flat and on grass, pavement, or gravel. Only a small section was dirt trail. The first mile was downhill and mostly paved. The second mile was uphill and about half dirt and half paved. The third mile was flat with a few ups and downs and was gravel, dirt, and paved. It was well marked and had markers for every K (kilometer) and water tables every mile. The markers every kilometer threw me for a loop but I dealt with it. And there were plenty of course marshals around to keep on the right path.

I started in the middle of the pack and quickly settled into a fast pace. As we headed down hill, I passed the 1st K mark in 6 minutes. I hit the first water table in 9:55, 2k was at 12:30, and 3k was in 20 minutes. 4k was about 26 or 27 minutes. Mile 2 was 13:08. Finish was 34:30. So way speedier up front and certainly not the time I expected. The finish time was about on par with what I figured I would get and I expected to fall off pace towards the end, partly because of the course but mostly because of the training. I'm still working on that change from ultra-runner to 5k runner. So in the end, I felt too fast in the first mile, tried to stay on the bucking bronco for the second mile, and finally felt semi-smooth in the last mile.

Photos:
The fountain in the park.
 

Course map.


Is this real? Did I really win?


Yes, I really did win.


 
Weather:
Temps were about 45F but warmed to about 50k to 55F. Wind was light. Sky was clear and sun was out.

Fluids and Fuel:
Had coffee and two slices of toast for breakfast. Plain water during the race. Recovery was more water and a banana.That was followed by a lunch of chili, BLT, and cherry Coke.

Aches and Pains:
Nothing really.

Gear:
Wore shorts, pants, thermal top, t-shirt, two Buffs, and gloves. Took the Buffs off about halfway through.

Today's Motivation:
Getting a pre-training time on the books so I can measure my progress down the road. That was my sole motivation. And maybe because I felt like running a race.

Naughty Neil:
I had a burger and fries yesterday for lunch. Yuck. I mean, they tasted great but I felt dirty after eating them. Should have had a salad or a sandwich or something at the house.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:55
Mile 2 - 13:08
Finish - 34:30
Place - 3rd (30-39 age group)

No comments: