Friday, March 27, 2015

Baaaptism

Today's run is dedicated to the awesomeness of Lauren. Not only is she a great ultra-runner, she's great at writing blog posts, taking pictures, and even breaking cameras. I know I've mentioned her before but today she gets some special attention because she sent me not one but two hats. And, better yet, they're Nanny Goat hats! I've read her reports about Nanny Goat and heard from others here on the east coast that love the event so it felt great to get some swag. Plus it helps re-affirm how awesome the ultra running community is. We really are like family.

Anyway, with my new hat on, I was able to break out of the funk I was in earlier this week and get my run from yesterday done. I'm sure my coach won't like it much but I didn't really stick to the planned intervals. But I got the time in so I was happy.

I felt like running in the dark but running in the dark on the treadmill doesn't really give you any benefit. Other than keeping things a bit more mellow and nearly running off the end of the treadmill in the first few steps, it didn't seem to do much for me.

Overall I felt better after the run and pretty good during the run. Had some tightness in my ankle and calves but that went away when I increased the incline.

Photo:
Don't mind me, I'm just a horny old goat.


Weather:
Indoor temp was 74F.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a burrito, iced latte, and banana. During the run I had just water and applesauce. Recovery was corn, peas, brown rice, and taco meat. And more coffee.

Aches and Pains:
Left ankle felt tight for a good half hour like I needed to crack it. Finally went away when I increased the incline. Both calves felt tight and sluggish but I dealt with it and tried to push through. I think part of the problem is lack of fluids.

Gear:
My new hat took some adjusting to get it to fit on my giant head. No, really, I have a giant head. Trust me. Once I got it settled in for the ride, things were cool. Wore shorts and t-shirt.

Naughty Neil:
Today's breakfast wasn't super-terrific but it was what it needed to be due to timing. Did my best to pick the best I could and avoid those yummy, deep-fried hash browns. nom nom nom

Today's Motivation:
A hat. I don't know if that makes me needy. Or weird. Or both. Or cheap. Or something else. But yes, a hat made me run today. Sometimes it's the small stuff.

Treadmill:
Time - 42:41
Distance - 2.0
Incline - 0 to 10 (5 AVG)
Speed - 2.0 to 4.0 (2.9 AVG)
Elevation - 521 feet
Entertainment - LOST - Specifically the Fire + Water episode where Aaron and Claire get baptized after not believing Charlie. I'd say she's nuts but, well, we already know how that turned out.

Splits:
Finish - 42:41

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Ahhhh, you are so nice. Don't feel much like an ultra-runner nowadays. But it's nice too "hear" someone call me one. :) I'm so happy that the hat provided some motivation. Have a great week!