Friday, February 24, 2012

Yesterday's Run - Rocky Road

I got high today. It doesn't happen often but I love it when it does happen. And today was very mild but it was still worth the effort.

Stephanie, my trainer, sent me a text this morning saying she needed to cancel today's session so I opted to punish myself. It's very, very rare for her to cancel or to even reschedule so I was a bit shocked. Her work ethic is just like her training style, pleasant but hard-core.

So off to the gym I went to workout. And then I changed my mind and opted to get a run in first before lifting weights. After all, the cold air should help keep things frozen when I get into the gym full of eye candy. God I'm such a perv.

The run was a bit bizarre. Started out cold but ended up with mixed temperatures. I was dripping sweat like it was summer but it was still cold enough that I could see my breath. What the hell? Aside from that, the run was pretty uneventful. A few passing cars, a few passing buses, and one bus stop full of kids. Nothing beats starting your school day by watching a chubby white guy run down the road.

Temps were 47F at the start and maybe 52F by the end. Felt colder than that when I started and warmer than that when I finished but it must have been all in my head. Sky was clear with a few clouds. Very little wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Water for breakfast. Ran my first 3 miles with a bottle of Hammer Fizz and took a shot of Hammer Gel around Mile 1. My second 3 mile loop was a bottle of plain water and another shot of Hammer Gel around Mile 4 (Mile 1 in the 3 mile loop). Recovery was a shot of Hammer Gel as I headed into the gym to lift weights.

Aches and Pains:
Left knee barked a bit as I started then chilled out until the very end when it gave off more of a groan. Right knee and right hamstring let out a very muffled groan in the last mile.

Forgot my sunglasses on today's run so I was fighting the glare for a few miles once the sun came up. Also wore a headband for the first mile or two. This is very rare as most headbands don't fit my head and I generally don't like them. I also forgot my iPod so I listened to music on my phone for the last 2 or 3 miles.

Codename - Rocky Road
When it rains, I always seem to get rocks in my shoes. I'm sure there's some scientific explanation for it, but until the Mythbusters give me the video clip, I'm not sure I'll understand it. So I fought the rocks in my shoes as best as I could. I also fought the sluggish feelings until I was a few miles in then felt great. Wish I could bottle that stuff. Maybe it was because I forced myself into a slower pace by walking 2 minutes and running 8 minutes.

Mile 1 - 11:17
Mile 2 - 11:24
Mile 3 - 11:20
First 5k - 35:24
Mile 4 - 11:51
Mile 5 - 10:29
Mile 6 - 10:13
Second 5k - 33:33 (about a 2 minute negative split)
Finish - 1:08:57

No comments: