Thursday, February 09, 2012

Today's Workout - Who's The Boss

Report:
Today's session with Stephanie was brutal. Not quite quivering muscles but certainly a lot of struggling to finish the sets. Nearly 90% of today's session was on the TRX, which I have now dubbed the TortuRe eXtreme device. I swear, that thing is nearly as bad as Inquisitor Glotka in Joe Abercrombie's books. It might not inflict any permanent damage but it's worse because it make you do all the inflicting of pain. It's like being forced to hammer your hand flat.

Anyway, I survived. My right hamstring/calf/knee were barking a bit this morning during the session but not too bad. It basically went from a 2/10 to a 3/10 on the pain scale. I spent some extra time focusing on foam rolling and stretching after the workout just to make sure nothing tightened up too much.

Weather:
Indoors.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was half an Ensure and water. Drank plain water during the workout. Recovery was water.

Aches and Pains:
My right hamstring/knee/calf was sore but no sharp pains. My right knee hurt a bit as I was doing single-leg squats. Everything else was just normal workout aches.

Gear:
Nothing special.

Codename - Who's The Boss
I was doing a pull-up/inverted push-up thing on the TRX and Stephanie had just mentioned a few minutes before that each set was going to be 8 of each thing. So I'd do 3 sets of 8 reps. So I did my first set, took a rest break, then started into my second set. And it felt like it was going on forever. Turns out I had placed my feet so that it was a bit easier than the first set and she had decided to make me pay a bit for that. So when I finally said something about not counting (which I rarely do - despite being a compulsive counter), she said oh yeah, I was counting, you were done a long time ago. So as I stop and take a break and silently curse her for making me work more, she said something to the effect of "I just wanted to show you who was the boss. You did 22 in that last set." Holy hell. 22 instead of 8. Needless to say, I counted the rest of my sets after that. And put my feet where they needed to be to make it harder.

No comments: