Friday, February 17, 2012

Yesterday's Run - John in the John

Report:
After my workout with Stephanie, I tried my best to go run a short 3 miles. I barely managed 1 mile. My quads were trashed and I felt disappointed because I felt like I didn't do that much in the workout to tax them so much. But knowing Stephanie, she snuck some stuff in there that sneaks up on you and lays you flat by the end of the hour.

So I managed a single mile. Talked a few minutes with my running buddy Amanda and spent lots of time in the gym when I was done stretching out and cooling down. Of course it helped that there was lots, and I mean LOTS, of eye candy to avoid eye contact with. I swear I couldn't turn around without seeing something. Come on ladies. Wear some nasty sweats to the gym, please. And granny-panties, not thongs.

Weather:
Temps were about 45F to 50F. Cloudy skies. No wind. Sprinkled a bit of rain but not much.

Fluids and Fuel:
Just a bottle of water. Recovery was breakfast burrito, hash browns, and an iced latte.

Aches and Pains:
Not really any to speak of.

Gear:
Nothing fancy but I did forget my running water bottles at home so I had to suffer holding a bike-style bottle with no strap. Yuck.

Codename - John in the John
Right before I headed outside to run a little boy pulled up next to me in the bathroom of the locker room. Being a parent, I've lost a lot of my bladder shy moments as well as expectations of privacy. So when he asked what my name was, I knew I was in for an interesting few moments. The conversation went like this:

"What's your name?"
"Neil."
"Guess what my name is."
"Mmm....John."
"How did you know my name was John?"
"Is that really your name?"
"Yes."
"Wow. I just guessed."
"But how did you know?"
"I didn't. I just guessed."
"Do you know what my mom's name is?"
"No."
"Guess. It starts with an 'M'."
"Margaret."
And then he ran off since he was done. And how did I know his name was John? I didn't. I just guessed "John" because we were in the "john." Thankfully I knew well enough not to guess "Dick."

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:22
Finish - 10:22

No comments: