Friday, August 10, 2012

Slacker

Report:
Yes! I won! Well, sort of. Maybe. Kinda. My big win was getting out of bed this morning and going for a run. It's been ages since I've been up early enough to see the post-dawn haze of a humid and cool night. So I was quite pleased with myself for being man enough to beat the gravity well of my bed. And oh, it was so comfy this morning. My wife's pillow smelled great and her side was nice and cool. Ahhhhh.

But I beat the pull and made it up and out the door at a semi-reasonable time. I non-jogged my fat ass down the road and did my best to enjoy such an early morning view. Keep in mind it was nearly 0800. So, I ran down the road, got attacked by deer flies, and ran back home. Turns out the deer flies were out looking for breakfast and found me. There were so damn many of them, there were too many to shake a stick at. Literally. i was waving my arms around like Zach Anner and was hitting them left and right. I had at least five confirmed kills and at least 20 hits. But I also took some damage, thankfully not too much to keep me from completing my run.

Saw one deer, tons of deer flies, and an inch worm on my shorts. ON my shorts, not IN my shorts.


Weather:
Temps were about 70F, humidity was moderate to high, and the sun was out in full. A slight breeze at each end of the run when there were open fields.

Fluids and Fuel:
No breakfast before the run. During the run I had a bottle of plain water and a bottle of Hammer Fizz. With the turnaround in sight, I took one Hammer Gel (Apple Cinnamon - yum!).

Aches and Pains:
Worst was the deer fly bites. Outside of that, things were fine. Did step on one or two pointy pieces of gravel.



Gear:
Wore my Deerfly Patches and was shocked when I didn't catch as many as I normally do. I'm thinking it's because I was wearing a black hat so they thought it was a shadow. Just a theory. Also took my iPod Shuffle but the battery was low so I only listened to a few songs. Also took my phone to snap a few pictures.

Codename - Slacker
Yup. I just scored an early birthday present to myself. A Gibbon slackline. So now I'll really be slacking.


Splits:
Outbound - 31:38
Inbound - 31:43
Finish - 1:03:21

1 comment:

Kim said...

Happy birthday! I just bought a gibbon slackline too, we will have to compare notes!