Sunday, August 05, 2012

Does a bear poop in the woods?

Report:
So this morning I got up at 4:30 am and managed to get out on the trail by 5:30 am. My original intent was to go out and do a solid 50k. Between a few months ago when I came up with this back-to-back 50k weekend and this morning, that plan changed many times. It gradually went from 30 miles to 20 to 10 to just whatever I could do. Turns out, my feet could only do 6 miles. I was actually clear-headed and motivated to go out and do more but between some suck-ass blisters and a hip that wasn't feeling so great, I just decided to call it a success at 6 miles. After all, I do my best to put the suck in success.

As for the walk, and it was most certainly a walk, it was pretty sedate. I saw one black snake, one rabbit, and two deer. And a large, but dead, caterpillar. I also picked up a few pieces of trash from yesterday's race, but there wasn't very much.

Most of the walk was dealing with the stiff muscles and the painful blisters. Mostly my body wasn't happy and that was the big hurdle. My brain was ready for more, my body wasn't. Oh well. At least I got a few more miles in!

See? I told you it was dark out.



And this is my face after a 50k yesterday and 6 miles today. Blergh.


Weather:
Temps were 75F at the start and warmed up a hair by the finish. There wasn't much wind. The moon was a waning gibbous and fairly bright. The sun eventually rose and the skies were clear. Humidity was high.

Fluids and Fuel:
Since I knew I was walking, I stopped for a huge breakfast burrito and an iced latte. And then decided to splurge with two hash browns. The rest of the time I was just drinking water. Recovery was an apple fritter and iced tea (the diet of champions!).

Aches and Pains:
One blister on my left toe, one blister on each heel, and some chafe in an unmentionable spot. The balls of my feet are sore and tender but don't have blisters. Right hip hurts whenever I pick my leg up. Outside of that, most everything feels fine, just a little sore.

Gear:
Wore my hydration pack. And that was about the only special thing I had going on.

Codename - Does a bear poop in the woods?
Yes. But only when he's in the woods.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 25:08 (includes eating breakfast while walking)
Mile 2 - 21:55
Mile 3 - 21:57
Mile 4 - 25:39 (includes a bathroom break)
Mile 5 - 24:22
Mile 6 - 18:57 (tried to walk as fast as I could)
Finish - 2:17:58

No comments: