Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Today's Run - Trail Head

Report:
Mixed results with today's run. I really, really, really didn't want to run. But I managed to not only get out of bed but also managed to get my running clothes on. So that felt like an accomplishment by itself. As I made it out to the trail, I was sluggish heading out and didn't feel like running much when I was chugging through the first few miles. In fact, it wasn't until I got to the gun range bypass that I started to feel a little excited and a bit more peppy. Maybe it was the single-track. Anyway, as I headed back to my car, I felt better. A little chilly here and there but overall, feeling much better. The last mile felt awesome and I flew back to my car. As I finished, I suddenly had the thought of heading back out for a little more. I had 6.5 in the bag and had 10 planned but knew I wouldn't get the full 10. So I pulled myself back out onto the trail and got 2 more miles in. Score!

Aside from that, the only other excitement during the run was finding a used condom at the trail head (heh heh) and seeing a ton of ATV activity (which isn't allowed). Oh well. Can't do much about it beyond report it to the trail owner.

Weather:
Temps were 35F and barely warmed to 40F by the time I finished. Heavy fog was present even though the sun was out (just not visible). Slight breeze.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was water and a yogurt. Right before the run I took an e-Gel. During the run I had a bottle of Nuun (orange ginger) and a bottle of Gatorade. After the first 6.5 miles I refilled my bottle with plain water and attempted to eat another e-Gel but could only choke down a little bit.

Gear:
Wore my Saucony windbreaker jacket and have learned that I love the chest pocket but hate the zippers. The zipper lockers are insanely deep which leaves you fishing around for the zipper. On top of that the jacket doesn't breathe well, so I was left a sweaty mess when I was done. I also took some hand warmers and used them for a few miles.

Aches and Pains:
None really. Although I did step on a rock that twisted my ankle. It wasn't a bad twist, but was awkward enough to make me take two strides with my left foot.

Codename - Trail Head
It's disgusting when people litter. Even more so when it's on a nice trail. Infinitely more so when it's a damn used condom. I mean, really. You can't take that shit home with you? You can't do that at home? Gah. The worst part of it all? Trying not to laugh uncontrollably when I think about trail head now. Thank you Russ, Gary, and Carl.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 12:20
Mile 2 - 12:49
Mile 3 - 15:54 (includes pee break and gun range bypass)
Mile 4 - 14:11 (includes gun range bypass)
Mile 5 - 12:19
Mile 6 - 11:00
Aid Station - didn't time it but was likely 3 minutes or so
Mile 7 - 10:46
Mile 8 - 10:40
Finish - 1:40:03

No comments: