Monday, August 19, 2013

Podcast - Mile 65 - Dead Fucking Last

In the ultrarunning world, the letters DFL tend to stand for Dead Fucking Last. Or Dead Freaking Last if you're trying to polite. As you get more comfortable in this niche of runners, you'll learn other things like DNS (Did Not Start), DNF (Did Not Finish), and even DFL > DNF > DNS (as in finishing last is better than not finishing and not finishing is better than not starting). Well for me, it was DFL. And as I said in my race report, I got exactly what I deserved. I didn't train like I should have and it showed. But at least I finished.

In other news, I got to meet Ashland Dave in person. And while I wanted to do some sort of appearance on his show or better yet, do an interview with him, I was (big surprise) barely able to work up enough gumption to just say hello. But I'm glad I did and I'm glad we had the opportunity to chat a little bit.

So there you have it. You can be the last one to listen to it on Podbean, or you download the Caboose yourself here.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I was told DFL meant Damn Fine Lady. At least that's what they told me when I got DFL in a trail marathon some years back. They even gave me a trophy!

Neil Richard said...

I like Damn Fine Lady. But that wouldn't work for me. Maybe Damn Fine Lad?

Ashland Dave said...

I really liked the equation DFL>DNF>DNS I wonder if there are any sticker of that out there.

We should arrange a cross interview for both our podcasts.

[Ashland] Dave

Neil Richard said...

I haven't seen a sticker for that but I have seen a shirt. It was late in a marathon and my brain was fuzzy. Took me a good mile or so before I figured it out.

And I'd love to do a cross-interview. Not sure how it would work but we can hash things out via email.