Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Buzz Buzz

A nice, slow, easy run. Still trying to get the hang of the whole "Zone" thing but I think a heart rate monitor will eventually get me there. Just need to get one. Keeping in mind that I needed to be in Zone 2, I did my best to start off slower than normal. Maybe I went too slow I don't know but I felt sluggish. As usual. Once I got to my turn around point, I did a little fiddling with the trail camera which cost me a few extra minutes. I think in the end it helped as it did a bit of a reset on my internal pace calculator. Once I started up again, I felt more at ease with my pace and a little smoother in my stride.

Horse flies were crazy this morning. Not sure if it was the recent rain or my red hat. I know they like the color blue but man they liked me this morning. And they kept buzzing my legs for some reasons which is really odd since they tend to buzz my head and neck. And I found one tick on me when I finished. He was dealt with.

Vine:


Photos:
The trail looked a little darker than this due to the clouds.


Some crazy looking dude growing. I hear he's a fun guy.



Weather:
Temps were about 77F. Humidity was moderate to high. Partly cloudy with a few sprinkles that never quite reached me through the tree canopy.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was half an iced coffee. During the run I had two bottles of plain water. Recovery was a breakfast scramble, yogurt, and the rest of my coffee.

Aches and Pains:
Nothing really hurt. I did take a funny step when I stepped on a sharp rock but I recovered easily enough.

Gear:
No special gear. I used some natural cedar oil to keep the bugs off my legs but I'm not sure if it worked.

Experiment:
Carried my large pepper spray and my cell phone. Had no issues with either of them.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 14:33
Mile 2 - 14:41
Mile 3 - 22:33 (includes several minutes repositioning the trail camera)
Mile 4 - 14:00 (includes pee break)
Mile 5 - 12:35
Finish - 1:18:24

No comments: