Thursday, August 15, 2013

Combined

Testing out a bit of a new format. Since today's run and bike were pretty much the same workout, I'm just lumping them into one entry. Deal with it.


Run

Just a short run since I knew I'd be out on my bike right after. Nothing too exciting but I did stop to take some photos. Weather was super-awesome. Run itself was fairly tepid? Boring? Un-exciting? I don't know, it was what it was.

Let's see, what else, oh, I saw the scary dog my wife has seen before. The big dog that's been seen gnawing on a dead possum. It's the first time I've seen him but he just sat there in his yard looking content to chill in the sun. The dogs on the other side of the creek though were a bit more excited about me going by. They didn't chase me but made it known I was too close to their territory. Figures that the small dogs are the scarier ones.

Photos:

Saw these pretty flowers along the way.
 


That's a beer bottle floating in the creek. Or maybe it's just stuck in the mud.


I don't know why, but I'm quickly becoming obsessed with taking a picture of this damn crooked tree.


Weather:
Temps were about 75. Sun was out. Light breeze. No humidity.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was two eggs, three slices of bacon, two slices of toast, yogurt, and iced coffee. I had to get up early and I didn't like it. During the run I had a bottle of plain water. No recovery since I rolled right into my bike.

Aches and Pains:
Felt a little stiff and sore but that's about it.

Gear:
Took my recorder to do a podcast.

Experiment:
Took my phone in STRETCH. Took my large pepper spray. Bounced around a bit more than I wanted thanks to my decision to wear my cycle jersey. I did pull it out when the dogs started barking but never used it.

Splits:
Outbound - 14:53 (not quite accurate since I started late)
Inbound - 15:38
Finish - 30:31

Bike

Today's ride was a pretty normal ride. Got to pedal my fat ass to the local gas station/coffee shop so I can get some sugary goodness disguised as a latte. Along the way I had a nice image in my little rear view mirror of an 18-wheeler drifting over my line as traffic was coming the other way in the other lane. Thankfully the trucker was nice enough to bully over the other driver and give me plenty of room. More room than some of the other butt-head drivers out there. It's amazing the difference in reactions I get as a runner compared to a cyclist.

I also got the usual amount of stares and bizarre looks as I was doing my stuff at Sheetz. Maybe it was some crazy bike dude locking up his bike, maybe it was some crazy bike dude in super-tight shorts inside, or maybe it was some crazy bike dude pouring his iced latte into his water bottle. Who knows.

Anyway, that was pretty much it for the ride. I did manage to safely pass a broken-down truck on the shoulder and safely pass a local pedestrian on his way home with some food from CVS (since he's been kicked out of Sheetz for panhandling).

Weather:
Temps were about 75F. Sun was out in full. Wind was light on the way out and a little stronger on the way back. Humidity was low.

Fluids and Fuel:
Had a bottle of Hammer Fizz on the way out and nothing on the way back. Recovery was homemade chili, Hammer Recoverite, and an iced latte.

Aches and Pains:
Legs felt sore but that was about it.

Gear:
No special gear.

Experiment:
Took my knife, phone, and large pepper spray. All worked fine.

Splits:
Outbound - 17:22
Aid Station - 8:52
Inbound - 16:25
Finish - 33:49 (42:41 total time)

No comments: