Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Siren Song

Report:
Yet another lazy-day run where I just went out to do something just for shits and giggles. Well, not for shits, no point in doing that in the woods unless absolutely necessary. And now that I think about it, I didn't giggle once on this run. So I guess it was just to do something outside in the woods while the weather was nice.

Overall, the run was pretty quiet. Saw a few people out and about but none on the trail. Started at the Turkey Neck parking lot, headed down the far east side of the trail, and turned towards the river for a nice view. Don't know why but the river was calling to me. When I got there, the two people enjoying the beach apparently ruined the mood for me so I started back to the car. Thought about going up Big Meadow and running down the road but ended up going back down the boardwalk to finish on the western side of the Turkey Neck trail. Then I saw some deer just as I made the turn and for some unknown reason felt like leaving them alone and ended up doubling back a bit to take Beaver Dam back to Turkey Neck and back to the car. A few more low trees down but sections of Beaver Dam were weed-wacked and cleared by a rake.


Weather:
Temps were about 65F to 70F. Nice light breeze. Sunny and clear skies.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was iced coffee, toast, egg, and breakfast burrito. During the run I had my hydration pack with plain water and a small bottle of Gatorade. Still had a ton of water when I finished. Recovery was the rest of the Gatorade and some water followed by an iced latte, two burger wraps, and water.

Aches and Pains:
Nothing major but I kept rolling my ankle. Thankfully nothing painful but it was annoying.

Gear:
Had my Salomon hydration pack. Also packed a knife for some reason. Wore my Instincts (street shoes) instead of my Lone Peaks (trail shoes) to see how they would handle the trails. Turns out it's like driving on bald tires. Most of the time you'll be fine but when you really need traction, it won't be there. In other words, it didn't work out so well.

Codename - Siren Song
As I said earlier, the river called to me. I have no idea why. Maybe it's some primal connection I feel to the beach there. The other beach I have no connection to and couldn't care less about it. But I felt the need to go to the beach today. So I did. Then it was boring. So I left.

Splits:
Splits are by RunKeeper so may not be accurate.
Mile 1 - 11:36
Mile 2 - 15:25
Mile 3 - 16:22
Mile 4 - 12:21
Finish - 56:44

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Interesting about the knife. I almost always pack a knife.

Looks like a great trail from the picture. How joyous to run along a river.

And 65 / 70 F! Glorious! Can't wait for that around here.

ps. Stop rolling that ankle! Kick out the back. Kick out the back! : )

Happy running Lumberjack!