Saturday, September 08, 2012

Cry Baby Quad

Would you look at that? It's after 4pm and I'm just now putting my shit on DM. Does that give you an idea of what my Friday has been like so far? Yeah. It's been one of *those* days.

So, this morning I cranked out a 5k. By walking. My left quad is still all whiny and shit. Sounds like me after 19 miles. So I ignored it this morning and went out for what I had planned on being 6 miles; 3 on my own and 3 with the group from the Y. Turns out yesterday was group run. They changed the schedule. Again. So I wimped out a bit and just did 3 miles. My quad was all nice and quiet like a sleeping baby for the first mile. I figured I could walk a mile, run a mile, then walk a mile and be fine. I get 20 steps into my running mile and the quad wakes up crying like I dropped a brick of Black Cats into the baby's crib. Baby Cheeses.

So I walked. I had some mild relief when I tried running way high on my feet but that was like putting earplugs in the babies ears. It may lessen the noise but there's still that smoke and flashing lights to deal with. In other words, my shins and feet didn't like the altered stride. So I ended up walking the hell back to the Y.

Along the way I did my best to be at peace with the injury. But like any parent will tell you, there comes a time when you just want the damn crying baby to shut the hell up. What did I learn from this? I won't be getting an x-ray or MRI until after my A-race in October. I will do everything possible to complete said race, even if I have to fashion a crutch from a flipping branch. You see, my buckle fever is much worse than my painful quad.

But I'm hoping it's not that serious. It still ebbs and flows, but the pain is still pretty low on my threshold scale. So, I'll walk the damn thing if I have to, I'll just be grumpy as hell about it. Until I finish.

This was my view this morning as the sun came across the field.

And this was my view this afternoon during my lunch walk. Yes, that's a Christmas tree. And yes, they are Elvis fans.

Temps were about 70F to 75F, much cooler than expected. Even though I was walking I still worked up a sweat, just not as much as normal. Humidity was moderate to low. Sun was out. Not much of a breeze.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was water and yogurt. During the run I had a bottle of water. Recovery was an iced latte, giant burrito, and apple fritter. It only slightly boosted my spirits.

Aches and Pains:
The cry baby quad.

Nothing but my phone.

Mile 1 - 18:43
Mile 2 - 15:05
Mile 3 - 18:06
Finish - 53:51

No comments: