Thursday, September 27, 2012

Shit Just Got Real

So as I was waiting patiently for the oil to get changed in my wife's truck this morning, I got an email from the race director of the Oil Creek 100 (OC100). And I nearly shit my pants. It's real. I'm registered for and planning to attempt a 100k race. What. The. Actual. Fuck.



The email is quite long and detailed. Some rules are self-explanatory, like no beer in the school or in the park. Or don't take a shit in the middle of the trail. But some are, well, a bit nerve-wracking. Like buying a bear bell and watching for porcupines. I signed up for a race, not a damn safari. And knee pads? That won't happen. I mean, if the trail is going to fuck me hard, I'll deal with it without the knee pads.

Anyway, here are some highlights:
NO DOGS - I never see anyone show up with a cat - if you or your crew / pacer cannot be without your dog for one weekend, STAY HOME
 This one is talking about the race headquarters which is in a school gym:
if you have mud on your shoes, remove them or expect to be asked to put on protective booties over your muddy trail shoes.
When talking about a particular aid station that is water only:
This is not a road race with a water station every mile, some new to trail ultras apparently don't understand this.
After reading the email three times, I finally noticed one of the first lines:
This will be the only email sent out regarding the race in about 2 weeks - Oct 13th weekend.
Makes me wonder what I get if I go for 100 miles instead of 100k:
NO CREDIT FOR A SHORTER DISTANCE
In talking about headphone usage:
In the woods, and especially at night, if you need headphones & music to keep you doing, that is your secret and what happens in the woods stays in the woods.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

OMG, you're race is the same day as my day of reckoning (Twin Peaks!!!) I'll be thinking of you during your sufferest, perhaps that will push me forward even if my foot does fall off!

Those are some mighty strange race guidelines. Knee pads? I have been requested to wear gloves though, and I really needed them. Good luck!!

Neil Richard said...

After seeing all your training going into Twin Peaks, you'll do just fine. Me on the other hand, I have no idea what's going to happen. And I'll be skipping the knee pads. Might wear gloves, just depends on the weather.