Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's a Bonfire

Report:
First good run in a long time. Started out this morning wondering if I should just give up on running. Had lots of negative thoughts last night about running and they carried over into the start of today's run. Just lots of bad juju going on and somehow, someway, I kicked it to the curb around mile 2. I don't know what it was but it happened. Like a freaking light switch, I just felt great. Mile 3 was like running on a cloud. Mile 4 wasn't quite as carefree but it was certainly better than the first two miles.

Outside of the negative thinking, the run was about normal. I was tempted to turn down a different road but ended up just staying on the readily established route. Also thought about doing 5 miles but opted to just quit while I was ahead. Had some kids say hi as I ran by their bus stop this morning. Got a bit of an interrogation as the one asked what was I doing and was I exercising. That's right kid, you need to go to school. Just so you can learn to not ask obvious questions.

Quite a boring shot but it also shows just how urban a rural area can be at times.


Weather:
Temps were about 60F. Sun was out but there were also some clouds. No breeze. Humidity was low to moderate.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a glass of water. During the run I had a bottle of water and a bottle of Hammer Fizz (grapefruit - it's okay). Recovery was Hammer Recoverite followed by a breakfast burrito and an iced latte. Yay for me not getting hash browns!

Aches and Pains:
My left quad grumbled a bit for the first mile or two. Then my left glute started barking at the end of mile two. Miles 3 and 4 were calm and pain free.

Gear:
Wore arm sleeves (now I know why I don't wear the Nathan ones, they fall down). Wore gloves. Sleeves came off around mile 2 but the gloves stayed on. Also forgot my sunglasses but didn't have to deal with too much glare. As I closed in on the last quarter mile, I could feel something dripping on me. At first I thought it was sweat, which was a pretty normal occurrence this summer. After closer inspection, it was a crack in the bottom of my bottle. Which tells me I can't use the bottom to slam down on the top of my other bottle to close it. Damn.

Codename - It's a Bonfire
Childish Gambino strikes again. Sometimes I wonder how much of an impact music has on my brain when I run. Anyway, today was more rap because, well, I'm like a backwards Oreo. White on the outside and black on the inside. For some reason, this song struck a chord this morning.



Splits:
Mile 1 - 11:02 (felt too fast)
Mile 2 - 12:23 (felt too slow)
Mile 3 - 11:05 (felt awesome)
Mile 4 - 10:29 (felt a few degrees harder than the previous mile)
Finish - 45:00

No comments: