Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Composting Update

As promised, I took some pictures of our homemade composter that we have outside and the container we have inside.

First, the cheap, easy to make, homemade composter. It's nothing more than a cheap trashcan with holes drilled in it. Be careful though with the holes after you drill them. The plastic was a bit sharp so I had to scrape them to get the filings off. The bungie cord we already had but it helps keep the lid on when we roll it around the yard. I also found a spare brick and piece of concrete to set it on to help with drainage.





Second, the container we already had in the house has been reused for our scraps. I wanted something that could close to keep the smell and bugs to a minimum but also big enough to hold a few days worth of scraps. No sense going outside every day in the rain and snow if I don't have to. But I also wanted it to be small enough to fit in the dishwasher to keep it clean when it needed it. I usually dump it out then rinse it and dump the water in. Helps wash out the scraps and helps keep the pile moist.



No comments: