Monday, September 17, 2012

Junk under the bonnet

Report:
Just needed to get out and keep the rust off as well as test out the left quad. I'm happy to say, it feel okay. Not great and it was getting grumpy by the end of the run but it was feeling much better overall. Now I just need to not go out and do something stupid.

This is the curvy hill I run up/down to the swamp (swamp is behind me).



Weather:
Temps were about 70F with high humidity (well, it felt high but it wasn't hot). No breeze and overcast.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was two bowls of cereal (way abnormal for me) and an iced coffee. During the run I had just one bottle of water. Recovery was a lunch of salad and shredded wheat.

Aches and Pains:
Felt sluggish but well rested (somehow I managed to get a solid night of sleep last night). Left quad didn't give any complaints until the last half mile or so. I did test out some strides going up and down the hill and was able to determine that the downhill wide-open (or long) stride is what hurts my quad. A nice short stride (or stutter step) feels much better. Which makes me wonder if I ganked it somehow during my last long run.

Gear:
Wore gloves for the first half mile then I warmed up. Not much else.

Codename - Junk under the bonnet
For some reason, things just wouldn't stay seated like I wanted them to. Maybe my shorts were too big.

Splits:
Didn't wear a watch so no splits.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Very good news about the quad. I hate injuries? Do you have a foam roller? If not, you should look into getting one, it might help. Foam rolling helps me immensely.

Oh, and swamps! Awesome. We have none here. Does that mean you have alligators (or crocs?)

Lauren said...

Oops, I mean, I hate injuries!!! (not question mark) I'm delirious.

Neil Richard said...

I have two foam rollers, one stick, and a baseball. I just neglect to use them as much as I should. I'm such a lazy runner. And I have at least four swamps within four miles of my house, all on different running routes. Thankfully there are no gators or crocs. Although I've had a run-in with a beaver before.

Lauren said...

I am a lazy runner too! LOL

Lauren said...

Oh, and I am 47 years old. I went to college late. LOL. It's too early in the morning.