Thursday, October 04, 2012

Honky Tonk Honker

Report:
Another boring run that wasn't really that boring. Had some free time during lunch so I trotted out the door and opted to do just a shorter version of my usual 3+ mile route. Recorded a podcast along the way and generally just tried not to feel like crap. This taper is killing me. I don't believe in tapering since it's never really worked for me but with my left quad has been nagging me lately and I want to make sure it has time to rest before my race. I'm not really worried about it but I want to avoid any potential issues. Same goes for my ankle. I managed to score a nice cut last weekend and it's been taking some time to heal. I don't think it's infected (like my wife seems to think) but I'm not saying no to a doctor. I'm just waiting and watching. Like the quad, I'm doing my best to avoid any potential issues during the race. So while I'm not excited about getting treatment, I'll certainly get it if I feel I need it.

Weather:
Temps were about 75F and the humidity was moderate. Skies were cloudy and overcast but no rain. Breeze was light to moderate and felt nice.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a (healthy) breakfast burrito, yogurt, iced coffee, and two eggs. During the run I had a bottle of plain water. Recovery was a salad, three Oreos, a small Gatorade, and an iced coffee.

Aches and Pains:
Shins were feeling a bit sore but I think it's the shoes. They're about due for retirement. Left quad was grumpy but nothing major. Left ankle was tender but again, nothing major.

Gear:
No special gear but I was able to run without a shirt (likely the last time for that).

Codename - Honky Tonk Honker
As I was coming back home, some guy drove by in his pick-up and honked at me. First time that's ever happened. No idea if it was a honk of rage, honk of love, or something in between. But seeing as he didn't run me off the road or throw a beer can at me, I just waved and kept going.

Splits:
I kind of forgot to check my split when I turned around so I have no idea.
Finish - 27:50

No comments: