Monday, November 11, 2013

Hearing Voices

I did not want to run this morning. Apparently neither did my body. After a long Saturday with my new hooker Ashley, I was pretty sore and pooped on Sunday. I did my best to recover and chill out but man, I never knew I had all those muscles. Clearly Ashley can handle more wood than I can.

Anyway, I got some coffee in me, hit the bathroom, and managed to get out the door before I thought twice about it. Once on the trail, I was feeling super sluggish and kind of like a zombie. I could barely get my heart rate up where I expected it to be and my stride, cadence, and breathing were all over the place. I don't think I hit any kind of consistency until the last mile or so. I did manage to get in my Fartlek spurts every half mile or so. But beyond that, I was just a hot mess out there.

I did hear some voices across the swamp that I assumed were hunters since they were yelling at a dog. But I didn't hear gunshots and the geese and ducks in the swamp didn't drop dead all of a sudden. Not that they should have since it's deer season, not waterfowl season.

Photos:

Glad to put that run behind me.


Weather:
Temps were about 30F at the start and may have gotten to 35F by the end. No wind, no humidity, and the sun was out in full.

Fluids and Fuel:
Before the run I had a little bit of coffee. During the run I had one bottle of plain water. Recovery was Hammer Recoverite, a little more coffee, and some yogurt.

Aches and Pains:
Right hamstring feels like I strained it a bit on Saturday with Ashley. Felt tweaky at the start of the run but after warming up it just felt tender and not as painful. Lower back is also sore but I think I slept funny. Everything else was fine.

Gear:
No special gear. Wore shorts, pants, thermal shirt, long sleeve shirt, winter hat, gloves, and a neck gaiter.

Heart Rate:
Struggled to get my heart rate above 135 for the first mile or so. Once I got into Zone 2, I barely ran out of it, even on my Fartlek pushes. And my speed pushes barely got above 150 even though I felt like I was running as hard as I could.

Splits:
Mile 0.3 - 4:26 (AVG HR 123)
Half Mile - 5:57 (AVG HR 130)
Mile 1 - 14:35 (AVG HR 137)
Mile 2 - 12:36 (AVG HR 145)
Mile 3 - 12:25 (AVG HR 148)
Half Mile - 5:33 (AVG HR 147)
Mile 0.3 - 3:35 (AVG HR 145)
Finish - 59:09
MIN HR - 62
AVG HR - 141
MAX HR - 171

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Boy! Temperatures drop quickly in your parts. Amazing. We're down in the high 60's at the lowest. Most days we're mid 70's, maybe even 80's. I am soooo happy summer heat is over. But if temps dropped as quickly as they did for you, I might not be too happy.

Neil Richard said...

It's in the 20's and 30's today. With wind chill. Yuck.