Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Podium Finish

Report:
Yes, I ran another race. No, I'm not crazy. It was on a bit of a whim but it was mostly to have some sort of "forced" active recovery. I say forced because if I'm going to run a race, I'm going to force myself to do my best and finish. And that's what I did. Was I fast? Hell no. But I finished and that's good enough for me. And on top of it all, I had a perfect chance to stretch out the legs and recover from Richmond.

Elizabeth finished 2nd in her age group.


But not before playing in the dirt.


Weather:
Temps started out cold but by the time the race started it was about 55F. By race finish it was maybe 60F or even 65F. Sun was out in full. Wind was light.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a burrito, yogurt, and water. During the run I had a bottle of Hammer Fizz. Recovery was Hammer Recoverite followed by an iced latte later.

Aches and Pains:
Well, two days after a marathon and I was surprised at how well I felt. I was still stiff and sore but being able to crack out a decently paced 5k is impressive to me. In fact, my level of pain after this marathon is a lot like my level of pain after my first 5k. Barely noticeable.

Gear:
I wore a thermal top that I stripped off at Mile 1. Singlet felt much better after that. Did wear gloves the whole time though. No other special gear although my THE LUMBERJACK singlet probably scared a few people.

Codename - Podium Finish
This race was so small, I finished on the podium. And there were only two people behind me. And the last place finisher also placed on the podium. Yup. Small races rock. Was I happy with 3rd place? Meh, it was okay. I was a little disappointed about not getting a medal (only 1st and 2nd got medals) but I was happy to stand on a podium. I've never done that before. Woohoo! Oh, and my daughter also ran the 5k. She placed 2nd in her age group. Double woohoo!

Splits:
Mile 1 - 11:43
Mile 2 - 11:19
Mile 3.1 - 12:02
Finish - 35:12 (I stopped my watch at 35:05 but it turns out I was about 5 steps shy of the finish line. No big deal though, not like I expected to win.)

No comments: