Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Fourth Notch

So over the past few days, I've noticed a disturbing trend. When I wear my belt, I'm able to use the fourth notch. When first purchased, I had to use the second or the third (if I sucked it in) notch. Then I gradually used the third notch all the time. This past weekend I graduated to the fourth notch.

Sounds encouraging, right? All that exercise and watching what I eat has helped, right? Well, I'm not sure. I have no hard data to back up any shrinkage (there's a scary word for men) occurring with my waist. My pants still fit the same. My gut still looks the same. But I have not used a scale or measuring tape to gather scientific data points in months, if not years. I did manage to step on a scale a few weeks back and it showed 248. Hard to believe since a week later it showed 235. I doubt I could have lost that much weight in a week. So I cannot rely on the scale for a solid answer. And I absolutely dread the tape measure. Always makes me feel inadequate.

So, I'll take my fourth notch and keep it. If I can make the fifth, then I know I'm either losing inches or my belt is suddenly elastic. And for those of you out there trying to watch what you eat, keep up the good work. Eating better is only half of the equation, but it's often the hardest.

7 comments:

1979 semi-finalist said...

tapeworm?

Neil Richard said...

I don't even wish those things on my worst enemy. CREEPY!

Trina said...

The infamous "water loss" maybe? Especially in the first week.

Doesn't matter, though, as long as you keep it off. Congrats!

Neil Richard said...

More like I gave my brain an enema.

I doubt it's water loss since I've actually been drinking more than usual to "fool" my stomach into thinking I'm full.

Daniel Ausema said...

If you've cut back on salt and salty foods, though, it could still be water loss. Or part of it anyway. Best of luck with being healthy!

Paul Abbamondi said...

Maybe you ran over some voodoo daddy's wife like that guy in Stephen King's Thinner and now suffer a curse! Maybe!

Neil Richard said...

The salty foods are still a part of my snacking habit (or curse). But I have done better at trying to eat my homemade salsa instead of that creamy, wonderful, mayo-and-sour-cream concoction.

And I doubt it's a curse. I'm thinking my wife is pulling a M*A*S*H prank on me by giving me larger clothes only to switch them for smaller ones later.