Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Nostalgia Overload

This morning's run was a walk. I really just wanted to stay in bed thanks to a bad dream. Nightmare had me running a race in Italy, hurting my foot, and then suddenly being at the Oil Creek race that I have coming up in a month. Not exactly the pre-race jitters I was hoping for.

Anyway, I got out the door, walked, and generally just tried not to crawl back into bed. I saw my dad out walking so I talked to him for a couple of minutes. Also saw the widow out walking. And Mrs. Brown. While she is always the source of some nostalgia when I see her but today I went on overload when I dug into new research today. I can't go into details because it's personal but the information I read wasn't new. But it was deeply personal and I'm grateful I had the chance to read it. It was just a bit much to chew on this morning.

Thankfully things balanced out when I started getting into goofy pictures of myself and my friends. It was incredibly hard not to post them and have a good laugh. So tonight, I get to search for two people. Christine Ingermarsson and Nicole Schnittger.

I believe I found Christine on Facebook, but I can't be sure. The photo says "Mars 1990" on the back and "Mars" is "March" in French. So maybe? And the story behind the photo is, well, weird. I have no idea where it came from. And why did I keep it? Because she looked pretty. I was at least smart enough to never pretend she was my girlfriend.

Nicole's story has a bit more history. I met Nicole Schnittger in 1991 on a train trip I was taking across the country with my dad. There's some video of it on my YouTube channel but I'm pretty sure she's not in any of the videos. I don't remember exactly which section of the trip we met, or which direction she was going (either to her home in Illinois or away from it). I think her parents were divorced and she was going between the households but I could be wrong. All I remember is we hit it off, talked and hung out, and wrote to each other a few times after the trip.

So there you have it. Just a small side-trip down memory lane. A preview of a prologue of things to come.

Photos:
From my run this morning. There were three deer at the tree line. Dad's house is on the right.



This is the rear of the photo I have of Christine.


And this is Nicole's photo. I would post the back, but it has an address and phone number.


Weather:
Temps were about 85F. Humidity was high. Sky was clear. No wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Coffee before the walk. Nothing during the walk. Recovery was two eggs, oatmeal, and two sausage links. And more coffee.

Aches and Pains:
None.

Gear:
Wore shorts and a t-shirt.

Today's Motivation:
Feeling lackluster today left me with very little desire to run. So the mental compromise was to walk instead. And I did 3 miles, so at least I stayed on plan.

Naughty Neil:
I had a wacky cake cupcake with ice cream last night. It was good. And I almost had a damn Whopper today for lunch.

Splits:
None. Didn't bother to wear a watch.

No comments: