Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Crazy Stupid

As an utra-runner, I've been known to do some stupid shit. Running in extreme weather. Going extreme distances. Testing my body and mind. Well today was a bit different because I think many people would think what I did was just stupid. Many would think it's weird. Some would think it's nice or sweet or some variation of that. But I'm going to leave you guessing. Sort of.

Suffice it to say, I went a little longer today than my body wanted to go but I made it back just fine. I didn't have coffee before the start so I pretty much stumbled out the door and caught my dad walking around the neighborhood. He said he was up since 0200 and had already gone out for breakfast. I just chuckled on the inside because that's about as tired as I felt. Minus the breakfast. Wife's alarm went off, again, at 0510, way before my 0600 wake up time.

So I stumbled out the door and went down the road. I was exhausted. I went down the road, fought off a few horseflies, and made it to the future home of hundreds. Stupid developers are going to force us to live in cities if we're not careful. From there I crossed the major highway and ran down the shoulder. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people that would move to the left lane to give me space and by the wonderful breeze I'd get from the passing traffic. Sure as hell kept the flies away from me.

Once I reached the cemetery, it took me a few minutes of walking around before I found the grave. I paid my respects, then headed back home. Made the stupid mistake of not really watching the traffic and cut between some cars. Lack of coffee and heat was getting to me. Thankfully that was the last dangerous roadway I needed to worry about on the way back home.

And that was pretty much it in a nutshell.

Podcast:
https://soundcloud.com/neil-richard/mile-96

Photos:

I like big bacon butts.


Weather:
Temps were about 80F. Humidity was moderate. Sun was out but due to my early start it didn't really impact me until the return leg. That's when the temps started to go up. No breeze (except from traffic).

Fluids and Fuel:
Nothing before the run. Plain water and GenUCAN Hydrate during the run. Recovery was two slices of toast, two egg whites, two sausage patties, and coffee.

Aches and Pains:
Pretty much everything hurt. Spent a solid 5 hours walking on Sunday. Then yesterday's walk, bike, and strength training. That left me feeling stiff and sore today. I think it was the lunges and squats. Oh, and the right forearm is sore from using the weedeater on Saturday. Also had some sore feet, likely caused by the loose sand on the shoulders of the road and the wet grass in between the graves. So the wet socks and odd twisting motion gave me a hot spot.

Gear:
No special gear. Just shorts and a t-shirt.

Today's Motivation:
Guilt mostly. I knew I needed some miles in and I knew I'd hear about it if I didn't. The goal of making it to the cemetery helped me find enough motivation to actually get up out of bed. But I still laid there for a minute or two doing a cost benefit analysis of waking up or staying in bed.

Naughty Neil:
I skipped breakfast yesterday. Something I rarely do. Which meant I over-ate at dinner a bit too much.

Splits:
Outbound - 56:00
Inbound - 52:59
Finish - 1:49:00

No comments: