Friday, February 21, 2014

Introducing Porkins

had a nice little jaunt this morning to check out the first/last mile of tomorrow's half marathon. Parking lot was a mess of snow and mud but I'm sure today's rain will help clear that up. Thankfully the trail itself was nice and clear. So unless today's high winds bring down a bunch of trees, there shouldn't be any hurdles to jump tomorrow.

I also took my new Lone Peaks out for a run today. I've decided to name them PORKINS. Why? Because I'm on a bit of a Star Wars kick lately with names and the shoes are red. So Porkins was the big guy that crashed into the Death Star and I'm the big guy that tends to crash into the dirt when I run. Porkins' call sign was Red 6 (I'm partial to multiples of 3) and since the shoes are red, the name just seemed to fit. Plus it's a good way to honor his memory along with the rest that lost their lives in the Battle of Yavin.

And that was pretty much it for today's run.

Photos:

Getting my new shoes dirty.



Just a wee bit of snow left in the parking lot.


Weather:
Temps were about 40F. Winds were light. Sky was cloudy.

Fluids and Fuel:
Before the run I had a little coffee and an applesauce pouch. During the run I had a bottle of plain water. Recovery was a latte, three waffles, three bacon, and two eggs.

Aches and Pains:
My left ankle was wonky during the run. Felt like it needed to crack like a stiff neck but it eventually warmed up and felt fine.

Gear:
My new Lone Peaks were great. They felt so nice it was almost like I already broke them in. Maybe Porkins wore them before me. Wore T-Star running shorts, short sleeve shirt, arm sleeves, gloves, and a Buff. Also took my knife and cell phone.

Heart Rate:
Didn't really pay too much attention to my heart rate but I did try to keep it in Zone 2 or lower. Last section was a tad fast but I was feeling good.

Splits:
Opening Leg - 1:59 (AVG HR 122)
Mile 1 - 13:01 (AVG HR 142)
Mile 2 - 12:18 (AVG HR 145)
Closing Leg - 1:16 (AVG HR 166)
Finish - 28:36
AVG HR - 143
MAX HR - 174
MIN HR - 93
RHR - forgot to measure
Weight - forgot to measure

No comments: