Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Darth Vader Hater

I would like to introduce my new treadmill, Darth Vader. Since I've taken to naming all my new equipment, I knew I needed to find a fitting name for the new treadmill. Since I occasionally go by TK-42ONE, Darth Vader seemed fitting since I'm a bit of a Vader Hater. I mean, he left all my bros on the Death Star and didn't even care that the Rebels blew them up!

Anyway, Darth Vader it is. Did I mention that this is the first time I've been on a treadmill in, oh, probably 3 or 4 years? I mean, I really, REALLY hate them. But, Darth Vader helped me find my way to the Dark Side by giving me a pretty decent run today.

Now for the boring details! The treadmill was ordered probably 2 weeks ago. It took minutes to process and the order to start rolling but took days to get from Texas to Virginia. Then a good week and a half to get to my house. And the guy they sent to deliver was: 1) one guy 2) one old guy 3) one old guy that was out of breath getting out of the cab 4) one old guy that was out of breath getting out of the cab and had a limp. So guess who provided the muscle? Me. Know how heavy Darth Vader is? Heavy as fuck. Easily 250 to 300 pounds. And he was in a box. Maybe Han Solo got revenge for that whole carbonite thing.

Once I unpacked the bastard, which took some time, I had to start the assembly. Thankfully my wife was able to help because even the little side struts were heavy as shit. I mean, I nearly blew a power converter trying to move the bottom but the support arms needed a load lifter. Not to mention how cumbersome it was to attach the wire, hold the arm, and try not to drop the screws. Really could have used an R2 unit but I somehow found a way. Maybe the Force really was with me.

I had to quit last night because I was making mistakes and tired as hell. So I finished this morning and finally got everything all assembled. It was starting to look like a nice TIE fighter, all black and silver and sleek yet clunky, so I plugged it in. It powered on, I attempted to enter my name, it didn't go so well, so I just started running. And did great for my ten minute warm up.

Then I popped a circuit. Not just any circuit, but the weird little special circuit on the plug next to the sink. Which wasn't the plug I used but is apparently connected to the plug I used. So I lost my miles and time as I reconfigured the extension cord to a different circuit. Then I started my workout. Finished my workout. And everything seemed to be just fine.

Phew! This is almost as long as my After Action Report from Hoth. Anyway, I skipped the freezing temps outside, got my tempo run done, and didn't fall off the treadmill. I guess Darth Vader and I really might have a chance to rule the galaxy.

Photos:
Fair warning, Darth is much bigger in real life.


How do you know Darth Vader and the Dark Side are going to screw you up? The tube of lube.



Vine:
https://vine.co/v/MW3Y7ei91qg

Weather:
Inside temp was 73F. No humidity, no sun, and no wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Before the run I had some coffee. During the run I had plain water. Recovery was coffee, a banana, and oatmeal.

Aches and Pains:
Right knee was a little tweaky but I think it was just getting used to the different stride (trying to land more forefoot) and new surface. Everything else was fine.

Gear:
Wore underwear and shorts. I usually don't wear underwear but I wanted to get my run in quickly so I didn't change into my full workout gear. Was able to run topless. Didn't wear my HRM to avoid the distraction of too many gadgets. Was able to watch some TV on the DVD player (Taxi) and on my Kindle (Star Trek: The Next Generation). Was also able to Vine and check Training Peaks. And, as already mentioned, this was the first go for the new treadmill (a Sole F63 model).

Heart Rate:
Resting heart rate was 65 the first time but came down to 60 a few seconds later. Not sure what it was during the run but I'd guess in the 130 to 150 range.

Treadmill:
Since there's a ton of buttons on Darth Vader, I'm going to start keeping track of them. It's probably all going to be gibberish to most people but I like data so I'm going to track it. I lost the first ten minutes due to blowing a circuit so this is from the rest of the run.
Speed - 4.0
Tempo Speed - 5.0
Recovery Speed - 2.0 to 3.0
Incline - 5

Splits:
Not sure on all the details but I went roughly 2 miles.
RHR - 61
Weight - 222.6

No comments: