Friday, April 13, 2012

Trail Run - Long Arm of the Law

Report:
Went out on "patrol" today on the @friendsdrht. It's been awhile since I've been on the trail and it was nice to get back. Even if it was to get a bead on how things looked in regards to litter and trespassers. Apparently there have been some people using the trail for all the wrong reasons so we're attempting to increase the amount of traffic in the area. As for today's run, I didn't see much. There were some deer, and only one beer can outside of the normal littering "zone." So all in all, it was pretty quiet.

For those in the area, I parked at Caledon and ran down 218 to pick up the trail. Running on 218 was hairy at best. I thought Butler Road was scary but 218 is by far worse. Bad enough that I cut through the field on my way back to save myself from jumping in the ditch for the millionth time to avoid getting my ass ran over. Apparently people don't drive 45 on that road.

Worst part of the run was when I went to pick up the beer can. I braced myself with one hand on a branch while I reached with the other hand. The branch broke and I caught myself on the tree trunk. With my thumb. While bending my thumbnail back. Needless to say, it hurt. And bled. And while I wanted to cry uncle and go back home, I kept going. After all, it's just a thumb, right?

Weather:
Temps were around 45F to 50F. Skies were overcast. Wind was moderate at about 15 to 20 mph.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was yogurt and oatmeal with coffee. During the run I had a bottle of Hamemr Fizz and my hydration pack of plain water. I drank about half a bottle of the Fizz and maybe half a liter of plain water. Recovery was chocolate ZICO.

Aches and Pains:
No real pain during the run other than my thumb. The bleeding stopped and it hasn't turned colors yet but it still throbs.

Gear:
Wore my Salomon hydration pack again and packed along my voice recorder and my camera. Wore my arm sleeves and gloves to stay warm but it wasn't sunny enough to need my sunglasses.

Codename - Long Arm of the Law
While I hold no legal authority to enforce the laws regarding the trail, I do have permission to be on the trail. Which is more than I can say about those that are illegally using the trail for other reasons. And by the way, I bet you didn't know that I have a degree in Criminal Justice and actually know what alligatoring means in an arson investigation.

Splits:
Outbound - 9:56
Mile 2 - 14:23
Mile 3 - 13:08
Mile 4 - 14:13
Mile 5 - 13:03
Inbound - 7:00
Finish - 1:11:47

No comments: