Friday, March 30, 2012

Today's Run - That's not a hill, THIS is a hill

Report:
My first "serious" run after the HAT 50k last weekend. I took a few quick strides yesterday but it amounted to maybe a tenth of a mile. Maybe. Since things felt fine yesterday I headed out today to make sure I could still drag my fat ass around the block for 3 miles. After all, I don't want to pull an epic fail during tomorrow's 15k. That's right, I'm running a 15k tomorrow. Yes, I'm an idiot. But I wanted to do the race and just go out and have fun.

Today's run was meh. Nothing terribly exciting except for my suddenly different view on hills. After all those hills last weekend, the ones I ran today looked more like speed bumps. Seriously. I don't even think I noticed them. But I did notice the young lady leaving a house, dragging a suitcase, and heading down the road. I took notice since it was a bit bizarre but I saw her later back at the Y standing at the bus stop. Still a little odd but I'm glad somebody is using public transit while it lasts. Outside of that, it was a pretty basic run. Nothing fancy and I stuck to a 4:1 run:walk ratio.

Weather:
Temps started around 50F but got up to about 55F by the time I finished. Sky was clear and the sun was out (although it was low on the horizon). Pollen count was high but bearable. Humidity wasn't noticeable.

Fluids and Fuel:
Pre-run meal was water and yogurt. During the run I had a bottle of water. Recovery was a bottle of ZICO. Post-run meal was breakfast burritos, banana, oatmeal, and an iced latte.

Aches and Pains:

Thankfully, none.

Gear:
Nothing fancy. Wore my RUEZ underwear to keep things warm. Wore long sleeves and a beanie to keep warm but began to warm up a bit too much in the last mile.

Codename - That's not a hill, THIS is a hill
Think Crocodile Dundee. After seeing a series of "real" hills on the HAT run course, I now know how little hill training I have under my belt. I seriously need to run more hills, long hills, rolling hills, and more trails. As I said before, today's run had rollers that were so small I didn't even notice them.




Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:58
Mile 2 - 11:01
Mile 3 - 11:10
Finish - 34:14

No comments: