Monday, April 14, 2008

Latest Book News

Borders
They've been slumping in the stock market and sales compared Barnes and Noble, but here's another blow to their bottom line.

Borders Group has finalized its new financing agreement with Pershing Square Capital Management under terms more favorable than the original deal. One change is the lowering of the interest rate, from 12.5% to 9.8%, that Borders will pay on the $42.5-million loan from Pershing. Pershing has also upped its offer to acquire Borders's international subsidiaries, from $125 million to $135 million. Pershing will acquire the operations if Borders cannot find another buyer.
Movie Tie-Ins
Expect some books in the near future to tie-in with these:

Movies
- Iron Man
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- WALL•E
- Journey to the Center of the Earth 3-D
- The Dark Knight
- Untitled X-Files Sequel
- The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: Part 2

TV Shows
- The Backyardigans
- Care Bears
- Dora the Explorer
- Go Diego Go!
- Max & Ruby
- Monk
- Wonder Pets
- Wow Wow Wubbzy!

Yes, I only included those that would interest me or other readers out there (I'm no big fan of Wow Wow Wubbzy!, but I do enjoy The Backyardigans (you can find the rest here).

Comic Memoirs
For all you aspiring artists that draw comics, you may find Persepolis interesting (assuming you've not heard of it yet).

Kindle vs. Sony Reader vs. E-Books
This really isn't news as much as a poll. Do you prefer any of the above? Why? I know e-books are beginning to mass again for an attack on print, but I don't see them winning. Physical books are here to stay for a long while I think. I'm just curious who prefers what and why.

And for the record, I prefer straight e-books. They're free and I don't need any special hardware to view them.

3 comments:

1979 semi-finalist said...

Persepolis is great! Did you see the film as well? It didn't translate as well as I hoped, but it was still a great and faithful adaptation. And some of the animation (though only black and white - which I love anyway, obvs) translated even better than I thought.

1979 semi-finalist said...

Also - I prefer NO e-books. I rage against the machine that is books in electronic format. I begrudgingly read a few comics online when I have been unable to get the hard copy, but I hate, hate, hate, the new trend. Give me paper anyday...and everyday.

Neil Richard said...

1979 - Nope, never saw the movie. Looked interesting though. I hated e-books too until I wanted to see what happened in the next book by SM Stirling. And, well, I caved. It was html, but it was free. So I read it. Since then, I've been collecting, but haven't had time to actually read one yet. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. So while I prefer print books (and audio books), e-books get my vote before the Kindle or Sony Reader.