Wednesday, May 06, 2015

That feeling in the shower

You know that feeling you get in the shower after you've had a good run and you're scrubbing off the dirt and grime and you just feel so ... content. That was today's shower.

Such a wild turn of events since yesterday's run where everything just seemed to suck. Today started out all sorts of lousy. I broke one of my favorite hats trying to kill a horse fly. The little plastic buckle shattered which meant I was lucky to keep it on my head during the run. For a change, having a big head helped. I was lucky that the bugs didn't bug me too much but the turtle scared the hell out of me. The second turtle didn't scare me but still creeped me out.

Outside of that, I guess the run went well. My mind was elsewhere and had plenty of negative thoughts to get rid of. Was mostly successful in that but there's still a shadow lingering there. At least my shower made me feel content. And clean.

Photos:
That green thing hanging down is an inch worm. One of many that attacked me on my run.


This is the turtle that scared the hell out of me.


I have no idea what kind of flower this is but there's very few of them out there and they only show up a few times a year.



Weather:
Temps were about 60F to 65F. Humidity was high. Sun was out with a few clouds. Very light wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Had coffee and two English muffins before the run. During the run was water and GenUCAN Hydrate and an applesauce. Recovery was iced tea, coffee, and a couple pieces of cheese.

Aches and Pains:
Calves were a little tight but nothing major. Right foot was a little tender after I stepped on a rock. Seems like just as soon as it feels better I step on something to make it hurt again.

Gear:
Wore shorts, t-shirt, and hydration pack.

Today's Motivation:
Seeing 7 miles was daunting. But I tried to take it one mile at a time. I turned around after 3 miles so I knew I had 6 miles in the bag (at least when I got back to the car). I opted for another half mile in the other direction so I'd end up with 7 total. I wasn't sure if I'd make it but I was feeling good so I went for it.

Naughty Neil:
Had a bowl of treats last night. But it was only one and I felt satisfied when it was gone. No urges to go back for seconds.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 14:05
Mile 2 - 14:45
Mile 3 - 15:26
Mile 4 - 15:08
Mile 5 - 13:38
Mile 6 - 14:36
Mile 7 - 12:42
Finish - 1:40:23

No comments: