Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Inchworm Hell

Felt pretty good until the last mile or two then things started to fade a bit. Most likely suspects are the heat, humidity, and lack of proper fueling. But I knew about them all going into the run so it wasn't really that much of a surprise.

Generally though, I felt good. No real issues other than a few lingering aches and pains. Had to dodge a million inchworm (aka canker worm) webs but it just made me pay attention all that much more during the run. Saw a dead snake, giant millipede, and a turkey in the distance. Other than that, no wildlife.


Weather:
Temps were 70F to 80F. Humidity was high. Sun was out. No wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Before the run I had some coffee. During the run I had a bottle of Hammer Fizz and half a bottle of plain water. I also had an applesauce pouch. Recovery was going to be a rather un-healthy breakfast sandwich but it tasted really gross so I only had a few bites. Instead I just had my iced latte and had lunch a few hours later.

Aches and Pains:
Right ankle didn't hurt until the run was done. Had some pain at the top of my right hamstring and bottom of my right glute. Neither was too painful but certainly noticeable. Shoulder was a little stiff from yesterday's workout.

Gear:
Got a chance to wear my new waist belt. I have dubbed it INCHWORM because of all the damn webs I had to dodge during the run. It's large enough to easily fit my phone which is great and I can also easily stash my knife there too.

Heart Rate:
Started to see some cardiac creep after the halfway point. But with the heat, I'm not surprised. Outside of that, I did my best to stay as close to Zone 2 as I could.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 13:40 (AVG HR 131)
Mile 2 - 12:41 (AVG HR 141)
Mile 3 - 16:42 (AVG HR 139)
Mile 4 - 17:21 (AVG HR 143)
Mile 5 - 16:08 (AVG HR 142)
Mile 6 - 15:04 (AVG HR 148)
Mile 7 - 18:25 (AVG HR 139) (includes pee break)
Finish - 1:50:03
AVG HR - 141
MAX HR - 167
MIN HR - 90
RHR - 59
Weight - 222.4 (after the run but before lunch)

No comments: