Thursday, January 16, 2014

Podcast - Mile 77 - Book Review

After a holiday hiatus, I'm back to delivering one of the cheapest, shortest, ultramarathon podcasts out there. So sit back while I regale you with a book review. Or two.

First up, we have The Dakota Cipher by William Dietrich. This historical fiction is about a wanna-be James Bond that works for Napoleon, Thomas Jefferson, and himself. The book was entertaining at times but not very well written. The main character, Ethan Gage, is written in such an over-the-top way that he's hard to see as a real person. Same goes for the name-dropping throughout the novel. Thankfully, one character, Pierre, saves the day.

Second, well, there is no second. I ran out of time to do a second review. But I did manage to screw up my own numbering system. This is actually Mile 77, not the Mile 76 I claim. It's not the first time I've done it but since I don't edit or do any post-production fancy-pants stuff, I just have to live with it. Which is actually harder than it sounds due to my OCD nature.

Anyway, that's it for now. If you're wondering what the surgery is that I'm alluding to in this episode, it's my vasectomy. You can read all about it here. Or you can read the book I reviewed in this episode. Just don't pay too much for it.

No comments: