Sunday, January 12, 2014

DRHT Long Run

It sounds weird but I feel much better after getting in my long run today. I was behind on my mileage and my time for the week and over the last three days I had a total of 6 hours on the plan but only managed to get in an hour and a half. Well short of what I wanted and what I needed. So today I planned on a 4 hour stretch. And I nailed it. So I may be a bit short overall, I feel much better about this week.

So, the run. It started last night with what I can only hope will be a new tradition. As a family, we played two board games. I've become a big fan of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop YouTube channel and the kids have watched a few and enjoyed them. So we got Settlers of Catan Jr. for Christmas this year. And the kids like it. So do I. And my wife even seems to like it. So we played a round of that last night and then broke out Star Wars Monopoly. The kids stayed up late and we all had a good time. So last night I was a bit amped up because of all the fun. Which meant I didn't sleep well. So when I woke up at 0500 instead of 0600 to pee, I decided to just change and start my run an hour early.

So after stashing the new trail cams on the trail, I headed out for my run in the dark. It was colder than expected but my Buffs once again saved my ass from freezing. I meandered down the trail and ran into the sunrise. I piddled with the cameras when I got to them and then headed back to the car. By now the sun was up, I had stashed my headlamp, and I was feeling great. On the way back I got my lights, dropped some trash, took a dump, and kept on going. Once I got back to my car I headed back out in the other direction to get more time and squeaked out two more miles.

Along the way I had the shit scared out of me by a beaver and a turkey. I also saw, well, nobody and nothing the entire time. It wasn't until I was in my last two miles of the run that I saw other people (four people and two dogs). Pretty lonely out there today.



Temps started at about 35F and eventually warmed to 40F or 45F by the end. It took an hour or so after sun up to really feel any difference though. And the ground was still semi-frozen even then. Sky was clear and the sun was out. No wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Drank a GenUCAN before the run and nothing else. During the run I had plain water in my hydration pack. I had just under two liters and drank most of it. I also had a bottle of Hammer Fizz at the two hour mark. I ate three applesauce pouches; one at two hours, one at three hours, and one at three and a half hours. I was starving by the end. Recovery was a veggie sub, mozzarella sticks, and a latte.

Aches and Pains:
No real pains to speak of other than a few sharp rocks that I stepped on. My left hamstring was getting tight towards the end but I think that was due to a lack of electrolytes and a lack of fluids.

Wore two pair of shorts, gaiters, thermal shirt, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, two Buffs, and winter gloves. I had my hydration pack and my knife along with my phone.

Heart Rate:
Best success to date with the first two hours barely getting into upper Zone 2. Didn't go into Zone 3 until about 2 and a half hours. Started pushing the pace towards the end and eventually maxed out. No idea what my RHR was this morning though.

Mile 1 - 12:50 (AVG HR 135)
Mile 2 - 13:27 (AVG HR 135)
Miles 3 and 4 - 33:52 (AVG HR 136) (includes gun range bypass and pee break)
Mile 5 - 13:50 (AVG HR 135)
Mile 6 - 13:45 (AVG HR 135)
Mile 7 - 16:30 (AVG HR 140) (includes aid station stop)
Mile 8 - 20:08 (AVG HR 127) (includes some dicking around with the trail cameras)
Mile 9 - 14:14 (AVG HR 144)
Mile 10 - 19:40 (AVG HR 137) (includes dropping a log)
Mile 11 - 14:33 (AVG HR 146)
Mile 12 - 16:23 (AVG HR 152) (includes gun range bypass)
Mile 13 - 13:34 (AVG HR 155)
Mile 14 - 15:41 (AVG HR 156)
Mile 15 - 13:31 (AVG HR 155)
Mile 16 - 12:31 (AVG HR 163)
Finish - 4:04:38
MIN HR - 86
AVG HR - 142
MAX HR - 180
RHR - Unknown

No comments: