Thursday, July 11, 2013

Slick Rick is Slick as Snot

Being the slacker that I am, I briefly felt guilty about going back to sleep after getting up at 0550. Didn't feel guilty at all ten minutes later when my alarm went off. Felt a lot more guilty around 0700 when I finally woke up to go to the bathroom. I almost went back to bed after that but then it dawned on me there was a reason I got my clothes out last night. Today was the best day to have some flexibility for a morning trail run. So I finally got dressed and got out the door.

Turns out, the weather was pretty wet. Had rain the entire time but thankfully the tree canopy kept the worst of it at bay. During the last mile I even had thunder which put a little pep in my step. Didn't see any storm cells that bad on the radar before I left! Anyway, the main goal was to install a new trail camera, specifically one that was actually on the trail instead of one that was monitoring a parking lot. I hate trying to catch people do bad stuff but unfortunately it's a fact that there are some wrong-doers out there.

Once installed, I hoofed it back to my car. Nothing too exciting along the way other than the freaking horse flies did not take cover during the rain. In fact I swear they enjoyed the rain more than I did. Had a ton of spider webs too. Eventually had to carry a stick to knock them down so I didn't have to wear them.

My new shoes felt super-tight and super-cramped. It wasn't until well past the halfway point that I realized I forgot to take out the insoles. Oh well. I've named this pair SLICK because their brother-pair is called BOOGER. And while I seriously considered calling my new pair today SNOT, I opted for SLICK since I slipped going over a log on the trail. I stepped on it, slid, and proceeded to go over the log. So the shoes became SLICK as snot. I was also tempted to call them SLICK RICK but that was just too much to say.

Photos:

Proof that the Deer Fly Paper works in the rain:
 


It was a little wet out there:


Weather:
Temps were about 85F. Humidity was 100% since it was raining. Overcast skies. No wind. Had thunder during the last mile.

Fluids and Fuel:
No breakfast. Had one bottle of plain water that ran out with one mile left to run. Recovery was an iced latte, yogurt, and Belvita cookie/cracker things.

Aches and Pains:
Nipples hurt a bit but I think it was a combination of a wet shirt and hydration pack. Outside of that, everything was fine.

Gear:
Stuffed the trail camera in the hydration pack (after I took out the bladder). Had some Deer Fly Paper on my hat and caught three of the little fuckers (that shit works, even in the rain). Wore gaiters and a new pair of shoes that have been dubbed Slick.

Experiment:
Took my knife since it was easy and weather-ready. Fit nicely in the pocket and gave me no issues.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 13:34
Mile 2 - 17:45 (includes dropping a log)
Mile 3 - 20:43 (includes installation of the camera)
Mile 4 - 11:37
Finish - 1:03:41

No comments: