Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Three Stings

Update:
Turns out, a local property owner was doing more than just burning stuff in a fire pit. This is the source behind all the smoke during this run.

Report:
Went out between breakfast and lunch and I'm just too damn lazy to write about everything. So here are the highlights. It was hot. I saw a six to eight foot black snake (not sure if it was dead or alive and I didn't stick around to check). I found where they've been logging on my road.

That's not fog or even haze, that's smoke:


Weather:
Temps were easily 75F to 80F. Humidity was high. No wind. Sun was out in full.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was Greek yogurt (honey flavor is the best) and water. Since there was a long delay between breakfast and my run and since I didn't eat much, I took one Hammer Gel before the run and one at the halfway point. I also had two bottles, one of iced Hammer Fizz and the other was just plain ice water. Recovery was Hammer Recoverite followed by leftover pizza.

Logging down the road from me:


Aches and Pains:
My left ankle felt a little tweaky at about mile 4 but it went away. After today's run, I feel that my heat acclimation has reached about 70%. I think it'll plateau some here but I'll eventually get to 100%.

Gear:
No special gear but I did take my iPod Shuffle.

You know you live in the country when you judge distance by a specific farm:



Codename - Three Stings
The sweat was stringing my eyes since I forgot to put my Mission sunblock on my face. The smoke was stinging my lungs since somebody down the road decided to burn some wood. The deer flies stung my skin since they apparently like my blood.

Splits:
Outbound - 32:32
Inbound - 35:40 (3 minutes off pace but most of that was in the final mile)
Finish - 1:08:12

No comments: