Friday, November 07, 2008

Is there a Doctor in the house?

So, my previous post was about how good today was, right? Well, I got a polite email from my lovely wife that I should include some other big news in the post.

And I hardily disagree because I think it deserves it's own post. To shove it in with my usual drivel is, well, a great way to tarnish the accomplishment.

To cut straight to the heart of what I'm beating around the bush about, my sister-in-law has finished defending her doctoral thesis and was successful (I'll apologize now if I use the wrong words, terms, or phrases - I only have a lowly B.A. in Criminal Justice and know nothing of the process or the field). After years of hard work (about 10 I think) in class and in the lab, she's finally jumped the last hurdle. And to top it all off, it's got something to do with micro-biology, space-alien-like lab equipment, and testing something to see if it does something.

Yeah. Can you tell I understand what exactly she does? I've asked before and after hearing the simple explanation, I just felt too dumb to continue pretending I knew what was being said. Instead, I think I'll stick to my treadmill in the morning, my interwebz during the day, and my reading at night.

So congratulations on the huge achievement. I wish I had words of wisdom, but, I think you're a few years ahead of me in the department.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

A huge congratulations to DR Monica. What an achievement. I bet her parents are darn proud too.

Is her PhD in Biomedical Engineering?

Mom

Neil Richard said...

I would guess so, but like I said, I don't exactly understand what she does. So I'm not sure what the exact "title" is.