Thursday, June 07, 2012

Therapy

Report:
Really wanted to go longer today which was pretty amazing in and of itself but I only had time for four miles. I had what they call in the office a "hard stop" appointment. And I wanted to make sure I had time to shower and shave before making the appointment. Outside of that, my run was pretty standard with not much excitement. I think the most exciting thing was the fact that I was actually in the mood to go run.

Weather:
Temps were about 60F to 65F. Wind was light at 5 mph to 10 mph. Sun was out in full. No humidity.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was iced coffee, oatmeal, and greek yogurt (black cheery flavor, which was a good flavor but I still don't like fruit chunks - I think I'll stick to the honey flavor). During the run I had a bottle of Hammer Fizz for the first three miles then a bottle of ice water for my cool-down mile. Recovery was Hammer Recoverite followed by some celery, carrots, broccoli, hamburgers, and iced latte.

Aches and Pains:
I tried to test out some different stride patterns here and there. A few times during the first three miles I shortened my stride and did a solid forefoot plant. I could really feel it in my calves and eventually my shins. I didn't do it too much but just enough to try to reinforce the proper form. During my cool-down mile I did some high knees, butt kicks, and skips; all were an effort to stretch things out as well as promote proper forefoot strikes. Nothing really hurt but my calves and ankles did feel a bit tender towards the end.

Gear:
No special gear but I did run with my iPod Shuffle.

Codename - Therapy
I had quite a bit of therapy this morning. Running, therapy, and food. All three speak to a lot of my mindset.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:18 (I guessed my pace to be 10 minutes - pretty close)
Mile 2 - 10:44 (I guessed my pace to be 11:30 since I took a minute walking break - not even close)
Mile 3 - 10:36 (I guessed my pace to be 11 minutes - sorta close)
5k - 32:41
Mile 4 - 14:04 (cool-down)
Finish - 46:45

No comments: