Friday, June 15, 2012

Peer Pressure

Report:
Had a nice run today, mostly because I had some company for most of it. Managed to sneak out of work for a long lunch, drop off trash at the dump, then head over to the Y for a group run. Got two miles in before the group run started then headed out with a very small group (only four of us total) for another 3 miles. I must have been desperate for company because I ran the entire final 3 miles with Amanda, my running buddy, and talked to her for a solid 2 miles. Very rare indeed.

And to top it all off, we ran fast. Yet I was still able to talk. In fact, I tried to stop for a short walking break at mile 1 and she said "no no, keep going" and then I nearly puked at mile 2 but we kept going. Amazing that she pushed me to that speed and distance and yet I didn't die. I loved it.

Weather:
Temps were about 70F to 74F. Humidity was high but more bearable than it has been in the past. Sun was only out for about 2 minutes, the rest of the time it was very overcast. Light breeze.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a burrito, eggs, and iced coffee. During the run I had a bottle of plain water for the first two miles, took some Power Bar chewy things, then ran the final three miles on a bottle of Hammer Fizz. Recovery was an iced latte and sliders.

Aches and Pains:
Well, I nearly puked at mile 4 (mile 2 of the group run) but beyond that felt fine.

Gear:
Took my phone and voice recorder for the first two miles then ditched it in my locker since it looked like it was going to rain (it never did). Outside of that, no special gear. I did test some Deep Woods Off (which is heavy on DEET) to keep the deer flies away but with the weather, I'm not sure if this a solid conclusion. Almost forgot, I also tested out the Zombies, Run! app on my phone. So far, it's okay.

Codename - Peer Pressure
It's nice to have somebody that can talk to you, listen to you, and push you along at the same time too. Even when they're suffering. I'll miss my running partner when she moves to Turkey this summer.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:28
Mile 2 - 11:44 (tested out the Zombies, Run! app here)
Aid Station - 8:43
Mile 3 - 9:41
Mile 4 - 10:13
Mile 5 - 9:58
Last 5k - 30:53
Finish - 1:01:49

No comments: