Friday, June 01, 2012

Planting MacGuffin Seeds

I had every intention of running a double today but ended up losing one of those runs to the bed. Guess I didn't sleep that well last night. I only feel slightly guilty about it since I was able to get out for at least one of my runs.

Along the way I couldn't figure out if I was running just to get acclimated to the heat, if I was running to sweat out the toxins of my latest illness, or if I was running just to chase that elusive high I get from physical activity. By the end, I think I had settled on all three. Nothing terribly exciting on the run but there were a few interesting moments. Saw and waved to a local farmer/horse handler. She was trimming the grass the first time and weeding the second time. I also got passed in the final feet of my run by a cyclist. Heard something over my shoulder, turned to look, and had to do a double-take. Rarely do I see a cyclist on my run. And finally, I spotted a wild turkey in somebody's driveway. Not out of the ordinary but it was still neat. As I started I fancied the idea of running the entire length of my road (about 10 miles) but the heat quickly burned that foolish idea from my mind. Shortly after that idea turned to ash, I thought about running my basic route but ended up hearing a fairly large racket (that's what us hicks call a "loud noise"). It sounded like some heavy equipment so when I saw a logging truck pass me, I decided to follow it down a different road. Which is about the time when I decided to turn around at a different point than normal, thus giving me a shorter route. In the end, I dropped off a new DailyMile MacGuffin with the old one.

Temps were about 70F. Humidity was moderate to high. Sun was out. There was a light breeze, about 10 mph, which turned into a headwind on the way back.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was two breakfast burritos, yogurt, coffee, and water. During the run I had a bottle with ice water and another with Hammer Fizz (with ice). Recovery was Hammer Recoverite followed by two bowls of shredded wheat and water.

Aches and Pains:
It was hot but it wasn't too terrible. No real aches or pains other than finding it difficult to breath through the heat at times.

Wore my DailyMile headband, which is pretty rare for me. Went topless and carried my phone. Also took some BodyGlide and a Hammer Gel just in case.

Outbound - 27:44
Inbound - 28:51 (fell off pace a bit on the way back but did better than I thought)
Finish - 56:36

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Turkey in a driveway? Awesome! I love heat training. It's about that time for me too. Have fun!