Friday, March 09, 2012

Yesterday's Run - Turkey

Report:
Decided to come home after my workout with Stephanie and eat breakfast. And then I promptly tried to take a nap. I wasn't very successful. But at least I tried. Getting out the door was fairly easy since I was still in a bit of a fog. Got to the Y in plenty of time to ditch my gear and use the bathroom. Once I had my kit on and everyone was ready to go, we went outside and enjoyed the weather.

Oh what a beautiful bunch of ..... I mean ..... what a beautiful day it was outside. We set out and ran a loop and just as the last of the ladies were finishing, I stripped off my shirt, scared them away, and had the second loop to myself. Although there was one other lady out there but she's a family friend and runs a shit load faster than me (and thus didn't have to see the Lumberjack in all his topless glory).

Nothing too exciting about this run other than the weather. I did mess around a bit with my fluids and fuel and had so-so results. Further proof that I just need to stick with what works and only tinker on training days where I can easily bail on a run if I need to.

Weather:
Temps were about 65F to 70F. Winds were gusty and steady around 25mph. Sun was out in full.

Fluids and Fuel:
After my full breakfast recovery meal after my training session, I had about an hour to digest before running. That seems to be the bare minimum that I need to avoid any stomach issues. During the first loop I had a bottle of plain water. I downed a Hammer Gel (Montana Huckleberry isn't the best flavor) between loops and had a bottle of Hammer Heed for the second loop. The Strawberry flavor was not very strong (that's a good thing) but I could not feel any impact to energy levels. Recovery was a hot shower followed by some coffee, another aborted attempt at a nap, and a large salad with a can of tuna.

Aches and Pains:
My left shin was hurting during the second loop. I think it was due to my form and my shoes (they're nearing the end of their life and I'm really getting used to my Altras). Outside of that, everything felt fine, just sluggish.

Gear:
Discovered it's a bit difficult to clip your iPod shuffle to your shirt when you don't wear one. Tried to clip it to my necklace but ended up making due with attaching it to my shorts. The wind didn't help as it blew the cable around like crazy.

Codename - Turkey
Turns out my running buddy Amanda is moving to Turkey in July. She's so nice, runs a little faster than me, and is always great to talk to during a run. I'm going to miss her.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:00 (way too fast but Amanda is great at pushing the pace)
Mile 2 - 11:15
Mile 3 - 10:46
First 5k - 34:12 (includes stripping my shirt, downing a gel, and swapping bottles)
Mile 4 - 10:28
Mile 5 - 12:50 (includes a pee break)
Mile 6 - 10:42
Second 5k - 35:02
Finish - 1:09:14

No comments: