Thursday, March 15, 2012

Yesterday's Run - Bacon and Eggs

Report:
Went out for a long run today and sort of bailed on it but sort of didn't. I really wanted to go for 20 miles but knew I didn't have the time and I would be cutting things close on the taper-side of things. So I did what I could and left it at that.

Saw a few interesting things going on during my run. There was a work crew from the local jail. There were park workers repairing cabins. There were beer cans on the trail. There was a group of kids on the beach (where I think I photo-bombed their group picture). There was even the smell of bacon in the air.

I saran wrapped my phone but didn't quite get it out of the way for this picture:


Weather:
Temps started at 55F but quickly went up to 70F by the time I finished. Skies were clear. Very light breeze.

Fluids and Fuel:
Had a full-blown breakfast of eggs, yogurt, coffee, toast, and oatmeal. I left for my run about an hour later and had a bit of a heavy gut early on in the run but nothing too major. During the run I had a bottle of plain water, a bottle of watered-down Gatorade, a Hammer Gel, and two bottles of Hammer Fizz. I was sweating a lot later in the run and the Hammer Fizz seemed to help keep the electrolytes in order but I was running low on fuel because I didn't use any Perpeteum. Recovery was a chocolate ZICO followed by a lunch of left over hamburger, potato, and corn and a small Coke.

My man-made bridge to get to the other side:


Aches and Pains:
I felt sluggish for parts of the run but during other parts I felt like I could continue to grind away for another hour. Late in the run I could tell my fuel was low but I also knew I was almost done so I didn't bother taking in more calories. My knees hurt at various points along with my ankles. Nothing major. Had some nipple chafe due to my neglecting to put on BodyGlide. My toes were also hurting a bit by the end as well as the ball of my left foot. My gut only made me stop two or three times, once was for a major bowel movement (thank God for baby wipes!).

Gear:
Wore my cycle jersey with pockets in the back. Really wish somebody would make a runner's version of this. Wore my Altra Lone Peaks with no issues. Took my iPod but only listened to it for the last few miles. Also took my phone to track my mileage in RunKeeper.

I was able to go from this side of the beach to the other (about the middle of this picture) due to low tide:


Codename - Bacon and Eggs
While I had a full-blown breakfast and enjoyed it, I was a bit worried that I would bust a gut on the trail. Thankfully I didn't, at least not because of my breakfast. I'm sure the coffee helped flush things out but the worst part wasn't taking a dump in the woods. The worst part was smelling somebody making bacon. Oh, did it smell good. Wonderful, crispy, bacon. MMmmmm.

The sun was out in full today:


Splits:
Mile splits are by RunKeeper and not completely accurate. I did use my watch to keep track of my time at the "aid station" (aka my car) but I ended up only taking one break there to refill my bottles.
Mile 1 - 12:39 (includes pee break)
Mile 2 - 12:15
Mile 3 - 13:18
Mile 4 - 16:42 (includes poop break)
Mile 5 - 13:37
Mile 6 - 19:24 (includes refilling bottles)
Mile 7 - 13:44
Mile 8 - 14:56
Mile 9 - 10:58
Mile 10 - 20:56 (includes some exploring on the beach)
Finish - 2:33:43

Loop 1 (about 5.6 miles) - 1:19:46
Aid Station - 4:12
Loop 2 (about 4.8 miles) - 1:09:43

Almost forgot to mention that I ran every open path today. If the trail was open, I ran it. The only ones I skipped were Turkey Neck and Beaver Dam which are still closed.

No comments: