Saturday, January 20, 2018

Another Run Done

Finally! A run has been done! It's been a rough freaking week. Like one kick in the pants after another. But I managed to survive the week, keep my head above water, and not give in to the hate too much.

Since I'm writing this the day after, I don't remember all the details of the run but it wasn't terribly exciting. Although as I was about finished, I ran alongside my dad as he drove home for a minute or so. We've done it before and it's always kinda cool and weird at the same time. Reminds of some movie scene or something where the trainer is riding in a car yelling at the athlete to keep running.

Anyway, as I ran my typical route yesterday, the first look I felt relaxed and at ease and just sort of loped along like I didn't have a care in the world. I did, certainly, but I just didn't feel like I needed to crank up the speed and prove anything to anyone. I just needed to move, just needed to get outside, just needed to get that green box for completing a workout AS PLANNED.

So when I came in at the end of my first loop, I was a little shocked to see my time was so low. As in I was easily on a sub-31 minute 5k pace. Which I knew was way too fast and I walked a good chunk of the last few minutes of the loop. I started my second loop suddenly wondering what the heck was going on and why I was going so damn fast. Then it dawned on me, the weather and the rest were probably key to me going so fast.

The second loop was pretty much the same. Tried to keep the same easy pace but with an increased HR, I knew I needed more breaks. And because I wasn't trying to set any records, I took them as I needed them.

And that was about it. Another run done.

Weather:
Temps were a balmy 55F. Sky was clear. Wind was light.

Fluids and Fuel:
This was my biggest issue. Had lunch (leftover pork chop, green beans, brown rice) and chips with salsa. Then about an hour later, ran. Salsa wasn't too happy and made me burp. Plain water during the run. Recovery was plain water.

Aches and Pains:
Other than the burping, everything was fine.

Gear:
Wore shorts, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt.

Today's Motivation:
After being kicked to the curb this week, I knew I needed a run. And I was right.

Naughty Neil:
I'm a sucker for salty and sweet snacks at night. Haven't had salsa in a while so when I had some before my run I probably had too much. But it was tasty.

Splits:
Loop 1 - 16:51
Loop 2 - 16:38
Finish - 33:29

No comments: