Friday, August 28, 2015

1991-06-25 - Train Trip - Day 2

Day 2 of our trip across the country took us through downtown Lafayette, IN. You can hear part of the comment I make about robbing the bank in town and hopping on the train to make a getaway. I think I had a few too many plots from Westerns running through my head at the time. But it was neat to just roll through this city like we owned the place. Of course we were on a train so people gave us the right-of-way but you know what I mean. It was like we were important people and everybody was looking at us. I'm not sure if the train still goes through the city like it did then.

Next up was Dyer, IN where we got off the train. My Uncle Phil picked us up at this tiny station that was more of a road crossing with a bus stop vestibule there. I'm guessing it was a commuter lot of some sort so people could ride the train into Chicago for work. You can hear Phil questioning me like normal about the trip. He was always full of questions. And jokes.It was great to hear his voice again for a change.

Phil and Diana lived in Homewood, IL. It's the source of many of my childhood memories involving the Lester family. One of them is in this video where I play wiffle ball with my cousin Eric. That's right, he hit the ball so hard it went ping. I'm sure the electrical tape on the bat helped. But we played countless games of home run derby in the little front yard and it always spilled out into the island in the street.

The best part of the shot is cousin Glenn. I have no idea how old he is but he's carrying a case of beer. Then proceeds to tell a wonderful story about puking in the baseball stadium and Eric giving directions back to his house. In the background is Aunt Diana having a great laugh about it.

And thus ends the day.


No comments: