Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Missed Tree

Not exactly an easy run but it was a nosy run. Saw the construction signs up this morning for some road work and I knew I needed to see what was happening. And since I didn't get my trail run in this morning since my wife needed help with her bulletin board (yes, I'm a teacher spouse), I knew I'd get a chance to actually see the work. So that's what I did. Went to be nosy and see what work they were doing.

Turns out they were just trimming the trees. I was bummed. Partly because I was hoping they would work on the ditch on both sides since they're pretty intense (like nearly 4 feet deep in some sections). I was also partly bummed because they didn't even trim the entire road. In fact, they turned around before the bottom of the hill where I ran past a branch hanging on a phone line. Um, guys? You missed a tree here.

Vine:



Photo:
I'm a lumberjack and I totally have saw-envy. I could really have fun with one of these.


Weather:
Temps were about 85F. Humidity was high. Partly cloudy sky but I was in the sun the entire time. Light wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a burrito, yogurt, and iced coffee. I had a snack of an iced latte and an apple fritter a few hours before the run. During the run I had a bottle of Hammer Fizz. Recovery was Hammer Recoverite and leftover roast with rice and green beans. And a few marshmallows for dessert.

Aches and Pains:
Felt sluggish and tired but nothing really hurt. I pushed it hard up the first hill to get out of the work crew's way. I could feel the extra effort on the way back as I struggled to make it up the hill.

Gear:
No special gear.

Experiment:
Wore my phone in STRETCH. Stashed my knife in my shorts. Everything rode well.

Splits:
Outbound - 21:40
Inbound - 21:56
Finish - 43:37

1 comment:

HeatherD said...

Not enjoying the heat and humidity being back either. I'm looking forward to September and getting back to drier and cooler runs hopefully.