Friday, August 03, 2012

It's hot hot hot

Report:
Just an easy shake-out run before my race on Saturday. Although I shouldn't really call it a race since I'll be running AND walking. And I certainly won't be racing to place on the podium. I'll be happy to finish under the 8 hour cut-off.

Anyway, just an easy run to keep things moving. Nothing too exciting although I did see the third row seat of an SUV in the front yard of somebody's house. And a few houses down, there was a truck bed liner in somebody's ditch. Yeah. These are the types of roads I run on. At least I didn't see any sex toys.

Weather:
Temps were about 80F. Humidity was high. Sun was out in full. No wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a burrito, yogurt, and iced coffee. During the run I experimented with a frozen mini-flask of Hammer Perpeteum. It seemed to work fine but thawed much faster than expected. I also had a bottle of plain water. Recovery was an iced latte.

Aches and Pains:
None to speak of.

Gear:
Nothing special.

Codename - It's hot hot hot
Pretty much the same story every summer. It's hot.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:27 (way too fast)
Mile 2 - 13:13 (a little too slow)
Mile 3 - 12:18 (right on pace)
Finish - 37:01

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Well, I beg to differ. It is so a race if you do some walking. I call it hiking. : ) With an 8 hr. cut-off, I'm guessing a 50k? In my parts, especially with the extreme elevation, even the placers do some HIKING. Good luck on your race. It's dang hot here too! But I've got some breezes here and there, and I'm pretty sure humidity isn't as bad here (at least in the mountains). Good luck again!

Neil Richard said...

Yep, it was a 50k. Finished it yesterday and race report will be up Monday. Thanks!

PS - After today's walk in the woods, I really need to practice walking.