Monday, December 12, 2005

Homeland Review (comic adaptation)

Homeland (comic adaptation) by R. A. Salvatore, Andrew Dabb, and Tim Seeley
A review by Neil Richard

Overall Rating = 4 out of 5

I was a bit hesitant when I found out there would be a comic adaptation for Bob’s Dark Elf Trilogy.  There had been a first attempt with Demon Wars and I don’t think it was very popular.  The artwork was pretty good, but there didn’t appear to be much of an audience.

Then there’s the Dark Elf Trilogy (or just DET to hardcore fans).  This is likely one of Bob’s most popular series, possibly more popular than the Icewind Dale Trilogy.  Nearly every fellow fan I’ve talked to over the years has read this series at least twice, if not more.  And maybe because of my lack of fanaticism with the Dark Elf Trilogy, I wasn’t too sure the comic would float.

I was right, it didn’t float.  It soared.  Good thing I’m not in marketing.

Exile is due to come out soon and I’m sure there are talks of the other series going graphic after the popularity of this series.  The artwork in Homeland is great.  While it doesn’t quite match what I’d imagined in my own head, it was a fair representation and didn’t take anything away from the story.  Some of the scenes had to be cut for obvious space and time constraints, but all the important ones are there.

This was a great excursion into the graphic side of the story and I can only hope the next ones in the series are just as good.

Neil@TK42ONE.com
©2005 TK42ONE.com Productions

No comments: