Saturday, August 27, 2016

Bittersweet

Today's run was driven by heartburn. And bitterness. And anger. And a little bit of self-loathing. One of my son's "tics" is that he chews on stuff. Normally, it's just an everyday reminder to have him chew gum or to *not* chew on something in particular. Well, today was he was a little more amped up than normal since he has a sleep-over tonight and a 9th birthday to celebrate tomorrow. Kind of a big deal. Well, that brought out the tic, along with some frustrating behavior, and he chewed a hole in the bottom of his plastic water bottle.

Which really pissed me off.

So after stewing about it for a while, I took his computer away.

Then went for a run.

After the run, I'm glad I stewed on it before deciding on his punishment. And I'm glad I didn't go as heavy-handed as I wanted to at first. And I'm glad I went for a run and cleared my head and improved my mood. By the time my 5 miles were done, I was hot, tired, a little wobbly, and in a much better place mentally. I wasn't pissed off. I wasn't angry. I still had that taste of heartburn in my mouth from being angry, but it was going away fast. More of that self-loathing after-taste after you barf.

Anyway, I'm glad I went. And speaking of flavors, the first loop was hot (I went way too fast). The second was mild (I slowed down). And the third was a little sweet and salty (sweet because I was feeling much better and salty because I was sweating so damn much).

Photos:
Saw this in the Wegmans parking lot. Would have thought they'd shop at WalMart instead.


Crystal Pepsi. The 80s live!


These are the "fancy" mailboxes in my neighborhood. There's usually a few more.






My son's birthday cake. Wacky cake. Also known as Depression Cake.


Weather:
Temps were about 95F. Humidity was moderate. Wind was light but nice. Sun was out in full.

Fluids and Fuel:
No breakfast. Lunch was lemon-pepper fish, pepper steak, green beans, and a black bean enchilada. Snack was some pita chips and club crackers with coffee. Plain water during the run. Recovery was water, tea, a dinner of pizza, and dessert was wacky cake.

Aches and Pains:
None really.

Gear:
Wore shorts and a t-shirt.

Today's Motivation:
See above.

Naughty Neil:
I had cool whip on my wacky cake. And I'm going back for another slice. And I don't feel guilty about it at all. Although I feel a little guilty about that 5th slice of pizza.

Splits:
First loop was about 17:30, second was about 19:30. After that, I ignored the splits because my route was abnormal.
Finish - 1:10:36

No comments: