Thursday, March 28, 2013

Balls of Steel

Balls of Steel:
Things were a bit chilly out but I still enjoyed myself. Until I hit the rough head wind with a few cross wind gusts on the way back, I felt like I was flying. I can't imagine being able to run that fast. I mean, five minute miles? Holy hell!

Anyway, I felt great until I got back home, got off my bike, and realized my nuts were numb. No wonder Lance only has one, there is no way a guy can ride a bike that many miles and not do damage down there. Thankfully my shorts were padded because it kept me from feeling any pain when I sat down without adjusting myself. Note to self: don't get in the habit of riding a bike.

I was slightly more carefree during this ride than in the past. I usually get a little panicky when I hit downhills. Today was pretty much a "fuck it" attitude kind of day and I just cranked up the gears and went faster. Not that I was going that fast mind you. Gravel roads, knobby tires, and a fat ass can only go so fast. But I went with the gravity while I could and did my best not to struggle on the up hills. The good news is, at this distance I'm able to get a rough time on how long it will take me to make a trip to the local gas station for my iced latte. And maybe the ride will offset the latte. We'll see.

Photos:

More beaver dam love.
 


The other side of the road (same creek as above).




 
Weather:
Temps were about 40F. Winds were stiffer than my shocks at about 20mph. Sun came and went with a mostly cloudy sky.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was about as shitty as I could manage. Unhealthy burrito, unhealthy breakfast sandwich, apple fritter, and an iced latte. During the ride I had one bottle of plain water. Recovery was Hammer Recoverite mixed with ZICO coconut water and some iced coffee. I chased that with a couple of Oreos and Cool Whip. Yep, eating super healthy today.

Aches and Pains:
Aside from my testes and my ass, my knees and quads felt the ride the most. Different muscle groups were used and I could feel it. No real pain though.

Gear:
My bike, my helmet, bike shorts, pants, thermal shirt, wind breaker, buff, and gloves. Also took my GoPro.

Splits:
Who cares, I'll never be able to run this fast.
Finish - 44:54

No comments: