Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Today's Run

In a continuing effort to please those rabid fans out there, here's an account my run this morning.

First, the basics. I ran roughly 3.3 miles in a little over half an hour.

Second, the conditions. It was hot, hazy, and humid. Added to that was the horsefly menace. Overall, I did a decent job of hanging in there to run most of it, but obviously I'm not in shape enough to avoid walking. Most important to me (after making it the 3.3 miles) was that my lung capacity appears to be improving. Cool.

Finally, the exceptions. Construction appears to have begun on the new police station. Maybe it's the new animal shelter, I'm not sure. But they've cleared the trees, burned them, and are now grading the land. And I found a wallet of a young YMCA member in one of the dead ends. I won't say his name here because just a foot or two away was a used contraceptive. So, if you "lost your wallet" near the King George, VA YMCA, please find a new place to "lose your wallet" next time.

And that was my run. I turned in the wallet at the front desk (with no mention of what else I found), took my shower, and talked to the trainer about joining the woman's running club. No, I'm not a woman, but I would like to join a more local club. She said being a woman wasn't required and I wouldn't need to wear a grass hula skirt. But I might have to wear a pink shirt. Fine by me. I just want to run with a partner.

3 comments:

1979 semi-finalist said...

Other than motivation or maybe accountability, what is the draw of running with a partner?

In my imagination and dreams(where I run all the time - I totally should have been a runner but have been put in the wrong body)anyway, in these dreams and fantasies, I have no desire to be near another living soul. Just me and the road.

Neil Richard said...

I think it's the peer pressure. I have severe motivation issues so any sort of pressure to get me out of bed and out the door is great (even though I hate it at the same time). Talking, singing, etc. while running is for people that don't push themselves hard enough. If you can whistle while you run, run faster. Me, I have a hard enough time breathing so I won't be talking even if I wanted to. I'll talk when I walk.

And I'm hoping it'll remind me of the "good old days" when I was in high school and ran with the cross country team. You know, back when I was thin and fit and had hair.

1979 semi-finalist said...

Hmm. The good old days thing I can see. Again, that wouldn't work for me since I didn't have any good old days (that sounds more serious than I meant it) but I can see how that would be appealing.