Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Z-O-M-B-I-E

Kids are amazing things. I'm sure you've heard the old saying about "kids say the darnedest things." Well, last night was more of a "kids, they make you laugh and cry at the same time."

Last night was not a good night for sleeping in our house. Summer thunderstorms mean Henry turns into a drooling bowl of jelly that's afraid of his own shadow. Which means we locked him in the bathroom to keep him from trying to climb his way into bed with us or from drooling on everything beneath his trembling lips. So he spent nearly all night scratching at the door trying to get out. Yeah, like he was suddenly brave enough to face the thunder.

Anyway, combine the chicken-dog with William waking up just as the storms were letting up. So now he's scratching at my back while I make a feeble attempt at sleeping.

And, finally, adding to the mix of whine and woe, we have Elizabeth. When she woke up and ran into our room, I assumed the thunder woke her up and scared her. But no, it was just a scary dream. So I walked her back to her bed and asked her about her scary dream. The following is an approximation of our conversation.

What's the matter sweetie?
I had a scary dream.
What was scary about it?
There was a man digging a cross walk with grass and trees.
What was scary, was the man scary?
Yes, he was being mean to me.
Was the grass or trees scary?
No.
Who was the man, was he someone you know?
No, he was just a scary man.

This was followed by Dad giving his speech about Mom and Dad being there to keep her safe, and William safe, and Henry safe.

So, to any scary men out there that have been mean to Elizabeth while digging a crosswalk with grass and trees, I'll be keeping an eye on you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I hope she's not talking baout me, I get that a lot, when I'm out working in the yard. I have spiders, worms, and crickets crawling all over me and am covered head to foot in soil and fertalizer (because for some reason I can't do a neat job), and I'm drooling all over the place because I don't want to accidentally taste said fertalizer.

It's an interesting site to see because of my natural inclinition to avoid work and exerting any effort, so my productivity skills are atrocious. I can totally see why I'd be scary.

You should see the dogs though.. they think I'm a bathroom/playtoy the whole time, that is until someone freaks out and sprays me with the hose.

~Epheros Aldor - Apostle of Cale